Advanced search

Dd sliced her arm open on door glass - should it have been safety glass?

(5 Posts)
MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Mon 15-Feb-16 21:50:15

Luckily she didn't cut any arteries (doesn't even bear thinking about shock) but still a big gash that required several stitches.

She put her hand through a glazed door that has been there since before we moved in in 2007. It is a council house and we were wondering if there should have been safety glass in the door?

Not planning to sue or anything like that but the council reckon it should be us who pay for the repair. If it should have been safety glass surely they should pay for it?

PigletJohn Mon 15-Feb-16 22:24:14

I don't know if there are particular rules about rented homes, but in terms of Building Regulations, nobody is obliged to rebuild their home to the latest rules every time they change.

Hence you can have a house with a thatched roof, non-cavity walls, old plumbing, and old glazing, if it was built that way.

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Mon 15-Feb-16 22:27:35

Thanks. Yes that's true I see what you mean.

pickmeupputmedown Mon 15-Feb-16 22:35:18

From memory, safety glass was mandatory to be put in doors from early 1990's. If door was fitted prior to that, then there was no legal requirement to change it. However, now that it is broken, it does need replacing in safety glass to meet the regulations.

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Tue 16-Feb-16 12:34:12

Thanks. The council's current tenancy agreement states that before you move in they "will make sure any internal glazing is intact and meets safety standards" . I wonder if they stated the same when we signed our tenancy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now