Talk

Advanced search

Replacing kitchen cupboard doors advice

(10 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Mon 15-Feb-16 19:25:04

I'm just considering this to tide us over for a few years.

I can see replacing the doors is fairly simple but what do you do where you have like a joint where two cupboards meet in a corner, there's a strip of laminate the same colour as the current cupboards in some places.

Paint them? May just look shoddy though?

PigletJohn Mon 15-Feb-16 20:21:49

the doors are usually adjusted so the gap is very small, just enough to open them. If you have big handles they may get in the way. How big is the gap? What colour will the new doors be, and where are they from?

dynevoran Mon 15-Feb-16 20:24:13

You'd have to replace the filler sections as well. And end panels and possibly the kickstands if you have them. Where do you plan to get your doors from? What type of worktop do you have?

A carpenter could sort it all out for you and make custom doors and fillers etc. Or you could get additional end panels for whatever doors you buy and have them cut and fitted by a carpenter.....you could do all the doors yourself to save on costs.

ANiceSliceOfCake Tue 16-Feb-16 08:02:03

I'll attach a pic. It's in the corners.
Just been looking on eBay at the moment but I've seen some shops that just do doors online and was hoping It would be easy enough to replace them myself, it's just a tart up I'm after really.
The work top is black laminate that will do for now.
The doors that are in now we're rubbish when we moved in, those wrapped ones that's peeling off.

ANiceSliceOfCake Tue 16-Feb-16 08:04:17

I don't know why my picture wont upload. That's annoying.

Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 08:06:45

We got a company in to do ours-they replaced all kick boards and bits like you're describing. It's brilliant and I'm so pleased we had it done. We couldn't have done it ourselves.

ANiceSliceOfCake Tue 16-Feb-16 08:08:32

I was hoping to do it at cheap as possible really, there's 3 draws and 11 doors to replace.

redhat Tue 16-Feb-16 08:11:16

We redid our kitchen and utility room last year. In the kitchen we replaced everything. In the utility we replaced the doors only.

It was a bit of a faff because the doors were not exactly the same size but it worked. We painted the corner sections and the cornicing. Saved a lot of money.

origamiwarrior Tue 16-Feb-16 10:23:29

I've just bought some replacement doors and I was also able to buy some 'edging tape' of the same colour as the doors. I have a straight run, but my plan is to use the edging tape on the carcass edges (which are white) so no white is seen behind the doors.

ANiceSliceOfCake Tue 16-Feb-16 22:06:21

Ok, that sounds like a good idea, edging tape, maybe I could look into that then. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now