Talk

Advanced search

Curtain solution for L-shaped bifold windows

(13 Posts)
DeeLite Mon 15-Feb-16 11:24:43

I am hunting for curtain solutions for bifold windows that will be a less fancy version of this. Unlike the picture, ours are L-shaped so one wall of windows is about half the size of the other.

I'd like something like this running all the way from one end to the other. In other words, just a single curtain panel about 3 metres wide and full length. The material will not be quite as light as voile but I do want something fairly light and floaty that will discreetly tuck away in one corner.

Anyone know if this is possible? And where do I start looking for a curtain pole that will do this job?

lalalonglegs Mon 15-Feb-16 12:14:28

Beautiful windows - it is certainly possible to get tracks that go around corners but they tend to be plastic and not very attractive and are meant to be covered with a pelmet which might look a bit fussy in a very contemporary extension. I would be tempted to have two sets of curtains that push back to the far ends of the windows and join in the corner - not only would this allow you a nicer curtain pole but it would mean that if you wanted to shade one run of the windows, but not the other, then it would be possible.

DeeLite Mon 15-Feb-16 12:25:49

That's helpful, thanks.

Our windows are nowhere near as fancy as this!

The curtains will only be used to keep out the night in winter so I can't see I'd want to shade one run and not the other (the room is north facing and quite gloomy). I hear what you say about the plastic tracks and pelmet though. Maybe someone will come along with a solution but, if not, I'll think about the two sets as you suggest. It will certainly give me more options.

Do you think it's possible to get a pole that looks quite nice but is about 2.5 metres long and doesn't have wall fixings in the middle as wall fixings will prevent me from having a single panel curtain on the longer run.....IYSWIM.

Starface Mon 15-Feb-16 12:27:16

You can get poles that aren't tracks that go round corners. They can bent to fit. I don't know what the relationship with the ceiling is like, but even if the windows go to the ceiling you can get poles that hang from the ceiling not the walls. We had this issue and I found a solution online. I did need to patch together a few poles to get the length though, which may be an issue if your window is long. The poles I found may be too substantial for a very light look. Tracks may be less obtrusive if not exactly highly fashionable.
Our linen voila type affair underneath the curtain layer has two separate light rods but these aren't designed to be opened so wouldn't work for your doors.

Starface Mon 15-Feb-16 12:33:59

I've attached a photo - trying not to out myself here! By patching poles I really meant two separate pole sets, one to get the corner bit and one straight one for the length. Did need a middle bit though because the long straight pole needed it to join, plus in any case the pole is heavyish so needs support

lalalonglegs Mon 15-Feb-16 12:34:20

I think that poles need to be fixed at regular intervals so, to have one that long and that went round the corner as well, would mean having a fixing along it somewhere which would, presumably, mean that a single curtain couldn't run all the way along. I have a curtain pole which is about 2.4 m but it too has a fixing in the middle and, imo, would bow a bit if it didn't. However, it is a fairly cheap thing - perhaps better quality ones have more integrity.

whatevva Mon 15-Feb-16 12:35:26

There are plastic tracks that fit on the ceiling/upper part of the window reveal and go round corners and are quite discreet.

www.facebook.com/JoanneSmithInteriors/photos/pb.267395286679569.-2207520000.1455539492./924080911011000/?type=3&theater

They look good with crisply folded tops.

wowfudge Mon 15-Feb-16 12:41:27

I'm not quite with you as that just looks like a normal curtain pole which is ceiling mounted. The voiles look as though they have standard gathered header tape or possible a pocket top. Do you want the curtain pole to go round the corner or to run only along the top of the full length doors? Unless you have at least one and half times the width of the doors in the fabric they will not look right. A light polycotton fabric sounds as though it will be what you are looking for. IKEA has a good selection of that kind of thing at reasonable prices.

wowfudge Mon 15-Feb-16 12:45:15

I understand better now after lala's post. You need what are sold as bay window poles or tracks. You can get special hooks that fit over the brackets so you can pull the whole width of curtain over to one side.

DeeLite Mon 15-Feb-16 13:14:41

Thanks very much everyone for managing to intepret my very poor explanation.

Wowfudge, can you explain what you mean by special hooks that fit over the brackets? I can't imagine how this would work. Is it something that enables the curtains to be pulled through / over the wall / ceiling fixings? I do want mine to go round the corner like the curtains in Starface's pic and not like the voile.

Starface's curtain arrangement looks good and deals with the corner but I assume that the curtain stops at the ceiling fixing in the middle rather than getting pulled all the way through it.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 15-Feb-16 13:16:37

If you'd accept blinds we have heat reflective ones that fit onto each door. Would send photo but at work!

wowfudge Mon 15-Feb-16 13:20:46

They are called c rings or bypass rings. If you Google them you'll find them.

DeeLite Mon 15-Feb-16 13:30:39

Thanks wowfuge. That will probably solve it.

No, we're not keen on blinds for this scenario Twowrongs but thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now