Talk

Advanced search

Any help with renovation costs please?

(14 Posts)
dynevoran Sun 14-Feb-16 18:06:12

After what feels like a decade we have had our offer accepted on a new house. I wondered if anyone could help me estimate the costs of any of the following pieces of work we would like to do? It's a typical Victorian mid terrace with side return already done and main part of loft already done. I had a wonderful carpenter do work for me before but he only has time now to make me kitchen fronts as is more into furniture making so wanted to see what prices are generally in case I need to get someone else in to do the rest.

1. Extend the loft over the back of the house - there is a back dormer on the main loft but it hasn't been extended over the bathroom ( floor plan attached in next post) and we want to add a room here.)

2. Knock down and support about 2m of wall between kitchen and dining room.

3. Reinstate edges of wall between living room and dining room and add glazed folding doors so space can be open plan but also separated when required.

4. Knock down small toilet room in kitchen extension to make space bigger and add toilet under stairs.

5. Lift existing carpets and laminate floors and sand and varnish floorboards in 2 bedrooms and living room and dining room and stairs.

6. Build a 3m run of fitted wardrobes in bedroom.

7. Build window seat with storage into half hexagon bay window.

8. Build in storage for shoes under stairs adjacent to new toilet.

9. Add a bigger flat roof light ( not velux) to side return flat roof. Say 80 cm x 1.5m.

10. Glass seating box and aluminium framed glazed doors from kitchen.

11. Make garden look like the picture shown.

Anyone who has recently completed these jobs and can give a ball park cost would be amazing.....I'm finding glazing particularly hard to find estimates without phoning companies and I don't want them harassing me at this stage for the work....

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help.

dynevoran Sun 14-Feb-16 18:08:37

Type of glazing I'm after for kitchen and vague idea of garden requirements.

dynevoran Sun 14-Feb-16 18:10:34

Current floorplan of house. Plan to knock current two loft bedrooms into one but wall probably plasterboard so hoping minimal costs.

dynevoran Sun 14-Feb-16 18:12:51

I forgot one more thing!

12. Increase the size of the velux Windows in loft at front and normal window at back.

Artandco Sun 14-Feb-16 18:16:06

£80k

langlandgirl Sun 14-Feb-16 18:34:20

£50k + depends on where you are. We are in Wales and I didn't realise how tight i was was shocked at the quotes for some of our ground floor reno works!

CamdenTownie Sun 14-Feb-16 18:40:21

I can't help you with costs but I'm interested in the replies you get, we are in a similar situation, although we would like to extend our current property.

dynevoran Sun 14-Feb-16 18:49:52

Thanks for replies so far. We have about 50k to do so obviously need to prioritise! If anyone has done any individual parts and can break down costs that would help a lot so in our minds we can figure out which bits to do before we move in and which bits we might need to leave. Thanks so much again.

dynevoran Mon 15-Feb-16 13:26:58

Bumping for the Monday lunchtime crowd! grin

LizzieMacQueen Mon 15-Feb-16 13:33:58

Those windows look expensive - One quote I had for similar aluminium sliding window was about £11,000.

Even Velux windows will eat into the budget. The one we got was £900.

The garden you desire will also be pricey but depends a bit on how easy it is for your landscaper to access and how easy it is to dispose of garden waste locally.

In your shoes I would get a contractor round to quote - even if you don't have ownership yet a good contractor can work off plans - though best to get inside the property.

What was your survey like? (ie are there any hidden problems?)

Sunnyshores Mon 15-Feb-16 17:31:44

Its got to be £70k?
Roughly:
1. £25k loft
2. £5k removing structural walls
3. £1k glazed doors and work
4. £3k remove walls, new toilet, tiles, floor etc
5. £1k remove carpets, sand floors
6. £4k (could be much more) wardrobes
7 & 8. £2k storage
9. £2k rooflight (could be way more)
10. £10k glazing
11. £10k garden inc plants
12. £5k velux

langlandgirl Mon 15-Feb-16 17:46:42

plus at least 10% contingency

Georgina1975 Mon 15-Feb-16 17:50:00

It really depends on the standard of work TBH. I would say don't underestimate the cost of seemingly small jobs.

We're having a contemporary "box" on the back of our semi and quite a small new kitchen from Howdens. It is going to be £50,000 and we live in a cheap area. But a lot of the budget is going into a quality build.

I would get a decent builder in to quote and go from there in terms of your priority. We're leaving the garden until next spring, for example, because we spend more time indoors during the year - would rather have that done nicely as a result.

dynevoran Wed 17-Feb-16 11:38:43

Thanks all. Sunnyshores that's not too far off what I was thinking for each item bit was probably underestimating each slightly giving a biggish underestimate. Maybe we leave the new loft room for now and try and do the rest as that is a more self contained job to do in future. And accept that I can't afford the nice glass I want and compromise with some bifolds and a nice big window with a window seat instead of my longed for oriel window. (Which I have been quoted 11,000 just for that shock).

Thanks everyone for input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now