Talk

Advanced search

Marble effect worktops

(10 Posts)
Newname36 Sun 14-Feb-16 13:09:18

We have black granite in our kitchen except one random laminate worktop which I'd like to replace. Rather than trying to match it, I thought I'd have a contrast of grey/white marble.

Except proper marble is probably out of the budget. Does anyone have any suggestions of alternatives? I called granite transformations but they want £1600 to do one small worktop and a splashback.

Bush board keeps coming up in my searches - what on earth is that??

Thanks!

fabulousathome Sun 14-Feb-16 16:10:58

Marble is very porous and may show stains. Why not choose a plain black or white very shiny melamine or a colour like red instead?

langlandgirl Sun 14-Feb-16 18:03:52

watching with interest - currently have a marble fetish!

Upthenoonoo Sun 14-Feb-16 19:05:16

What about silestone lagoon? Very similar to Carrara marble.

Newname36 Sun 14-Feb-16 20:13:24

Ooh, that does look similar, thanks.

But £625 per m shock

I'm not being very realistic about this, am I?

dulwichquine Mon 15-Feb-16 19:38:23

I have just installed a Calacatta Quartz composite, not Silestone or Ceasarstone brands. I was looking for something that had a slightly creamy effect to work with Skimming Stone cupboards. Very pleased. There is a lot of choice with composite alternatives to marble these days. Just do a Google search. Marble is really not a good idea for day-day worktop if you are worried about stains. The above colour will not work with dark granite option, though. And not cheap, either. I would also suggest going to yard and seeing a big slab of whatever you are thinking of. Just glanced at this thread and thought I would mention what we've used.

agnesrose86 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:29:27

I am about to get silestone lagoon for my new kitchen. I found a local worktop supplier who is doing it for half the price of the kitchen shop including template, supply and fitting.

Flugelpip Mon 15-Feb-16 20:33:34

Formica? Cheap, indestructible, possibly may not look quite right but you can keep it until you can afford marble...
www.swoonworthy.co.uk/2013/10/worktop-musings-decisions-decisions-and-a-sneak-peek.html/

tittysprinkles Mon 15-Feb-16 20:46:05

Have a look at Bushboard calacatta marble. It's laminate but very nice and really looks like white marble with a nice texture as well. You can get it with a square edge rather than rounded for a more realistic appearance. Worth seeing it in the flesh as the photos don't do it justice. If you are in the Northwest I can recommend a showroom with lots of samples to look at.

AesopsMables Mon 15-Feb-16 20:54:04

Agnesrose we are just about to order Silestone Lagoon (6.5mtrs) would you mind sharing your supplier? Apologies for crashing thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now