Talk

Advanced search

Landlord hasn't acknowledged notice of end of tenancy

(11 Posts)
Stylingwax Sat 13-Feb-16 15:14:31

I'm in a periodic tenancy and gave notice 2 weeks ago for it to end 2 weeks from now. Landlord however has gone totally AWOL, I've sent a letter by recorded post (not collected but a card through door), normal post and hand delivered through door. Have also texted, left VM and email.
He seemed to be away when I hand delivered the letter, no answer and post piled up.
I presume that even though he isn't there to take the notice, as he hasn't told me he's going away or given me any other contact details (I have used all the details I have) that's his problem?
Does anyone know?

lalalonglegs Sat 13-Feb-16 15:52:23

I would say that you should just move out but I don't know where that leaves you with regard to your deposit. Try calling whichever organisation has it and ask for advice? Take photos of the condition of the flat when you leave. Did you have a professional inventory done? It is usual for the tenant to pay for the check-out so, if you have details for the company, arrange for them to come and check you out?

It is odd and I do wonder if he is in financial difficulties and has just walked away from them, in which case, it's very good that you want to get out before the lenders start knocking on your door.

specialsubject Sat 13-Feb-16 19:00:28

you've done all the right things to contact him. Now get in touch with your deposit scheme to find out what happens with that. That is the only possible problem for you.

if he continues to ignore - on departure day, take lots of dated photos to confirm condition, read meters and contact utility companies (and council) to end liability, set your post redirect. Remove all your stuff and leave the property as you found it, less wear and tear. Return all your keys through his door and leave your contact details. Ideally get someone to witness you returning the keys.

and cancel the standing order for the rent!

tribpot Sat 13-Feb-16 19:04:47

I would contact Shelter to confirm. Did you give notice to end at the end of a rental period, when rent is next due?

Stylingwax Sat 13-Feb-16 23:12:37

The recorded and posted letters were sent on 26 Jan. My rent is due last day of the month. When I got no response I texted on the 29 (so I had proof) and left a voicemail. When still no response I hand delivered a letter on 1 Feb and have a photo taken at the door. Technically I think it could be argued that the only proof of notice going through the door is on the 1st Feb, and as that is the day after rent was due I could have missed the window? But I only hand delivered after not receiving any other response. I also at the time had a 2 week old baby and had only been out of hospital a week so didn't really want to trek to the landlords address straight off.
He is generally a good landlord, and as he appeared to be away (and phone goes straight to landlord) I assume he must be away and maybe has phone issues - but I really think it's rude to go away and be uncontactable.

Stylingwax Sat 13-Feb-16 23:14:21

Thank you for all advice though. I might send a follow up letter reiterating the previous but I've stopped the SO and we will be going. Deposit is in a scheme and I will contact them once we move and of course leave house in good state and take photos etc.

Stylingwax Sat 13-Feb-16 23:16:10

Move in inventory was done by letting agent who manages initial 6 month contract. The landlord then let them go and moved to no contract as it saved him money so I don't think the agent will do a move out.

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 13-Feb-16 23:22:04

Definitely take photos and make sure they are dated for evidence of condition, take a video too. Keep copies of all your letters (if you haven't then just note the dates sent in a diary/calendar. You have served notice so you're fine.

tribpot Sun 14-Feb-16 07:54:50

I really think it's rude to go away and be uncontactable.

Not just rude but unacceptable. What if you had had an emergency and needed to contact him to agree emergency repairs?

Stylingwax Sun 14-Feb-16 12:06:53

Yeah I agree. I have a toddler and a baby and the boiler is old and has broken twice over the Winter. But unfortunately I don't really think there's anything I can do about it.
Wish the rental market was more regulated to bring control bad landlords and bad tenants better.

specialsubject Sun 14-Feb-16 13:57:54

boilers do break, the important thing is that it gets fixed.

don't feed crooks by renting dumps - if there is an old boiler it is a bad sign. Get you gone.

it is also possible that the LL is in hospital or dead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now