Talk

Advanced search

Not much on the property market here

(10 Posts)
Uphillanddowndale12 Fri 12-Feb-16 13:12:14

Hi we've decided to look for a house in the village we moved out of 3 years ago as we miss the village - we made a mistake - we thought it was right at the time. But there's hardly anything on the market, one house we knew about as the lady had died went to someone else BEFORE she had died! We've looked at 3 houses, none really suitable - funny shaped rooms or needing lots of big work needing done.

How can we make things happen?? We look on rightmove daily (endlessly!) we've had our place valued by two agents

I suppose it's be patient and wait. I'm just having a moan really.

Is there anything we could do to ensure we find somewhere before it gets grabbed up by others

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 12-Feb-16 13:16:46

Speak to all the agents, let them know you're interested in anything that comes up. Don't sound TOO keen! Just register your interest.

Do you still know people there? Ask about if anyone is planning to sell.

If you're really keen you could post letters through doors saying you used to live locally, are keen to move back and to let you know if they consider selling.

Give your name and the address you used to live at so they can check you're for real!

sephineee Fri 12-Feb-16 13:17:08

Are you registered with all the relevant agencies so they know to let you know when they have something suitable (hopefully before it goes on market!)?

lalalonglegs Fri 12-Feb-16 13:20:10

Do you still have friends in the village? Let them all know that you want to move, and tell them to keep their ears to the ground so that you know if anyone is considering selling up.

Tbh, if you're really keen to live there, it might be worth taking on a house that needs work/reconfiguring.

wowfudge Fri 12-Feb-16 13:30:03

A friend of mine lives in a village and she says most houses change hands via postcards on the village shop noticeboard! Consider a mail shot of the houses in the area of the village you like the most too.

Heatherbell1978 Fri 12-Feb-16 13:32:46

A couple I know were keen to live in a certain street in the city I live in. Flyered all the houses and got a number of offers!! They live there now.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 12-Feb-16 17:16:08

Would you consider selling and going into rented so you could move faster if and when you hear or something comes onto the market?

That's what we did (albeit market wasn't rising at the time) but when it came to a bidding war and being able to move at speed, we could.

Other than that, be less picky? Go for a house with odd rooms or work to do, do the work / change the layout telling yourself it'll be worth it to be back in the village.

Uphillanddowndale12 Fri 12-Feb-16 17:22:02

Thanks all there's some good ideas here. We're going to get out and be proactive. Yes, we've asked friends to keep their eyes out for us. Another idea not mentioned is going round looking for houses being done up to see if they're planning to sell them

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 12-Feb-16 17:27:28

If you haven't got your house even on the market, someone in a position to move will probably get your dream house when it comes up.

Put it on the market first.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 13-Feb-16 19:39:32

Make friends with all the estate agents and keep in touch with them.

Consider writing a nice polite letter and doing a door drop.

Is there a fab group for the village? You could ask to join and post on there.

Kept in touch with any friends since you moved?

I'd also consider renting until the right place comes up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now