Talk

Advanced search

Painting external walls - how much should this cost?

(8 Posts)
NotJanine Fri 12-Feb-16 11:40:35

Getting quotes to paint the outside of our house and shocked at how high they are.

We have a 2 story house. I'm not good at estimating size, but I reckon no more than 7m wide. It is the front and rear rendered walls that need painting and a line of brickwork at the bottom. There is some flaking and cracked bits which need prepping before painting, but it's not in an awful state. No woodwork.

How much would you expect to pay?

WonderingAspie Fri 12-Feb-16 19:24:55

We had ours done last year. End of terrace and has a single storey side extension, really badly flaking paintwork, hadn't been done in a number of years so needed prepping. Paid just over £800 including the paint. 3 blokes, took them 3 days I think.

WonderingAspie Fri 12-Feb-16 19:26:06

I think I only got 2 quotes, they were the cheapest and did a great job. The other quote was around £900-1k I think and didn't include paint.

WoweeZowee Fri 12-Feb-16 19:34:02

We're in a typical two storey Victorian mid-terrace, have just been quoted £800 for painting the whole of the back of the house. This was onto new render so no prepping or woodwork.

Cost might also depend on whether they could work off ladders, a tower or need to use scaffolding to reach trickier bits...

nancy75 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:35:38

How much were the quotes and how much do you think it should be?

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Fri 12-Feb-16 19:53:04

Three storey (non-listed) period detached here. Approx 20m wide. We were quoted 3k+ last year to paint render, not joinery. This didn't include cost of scaffolding.

NotJanine Fri 12-Feb-16 21:59:18

Looking at these charges ours is looking quite reasonable!
We previously got it done cheap as a favour. Hadn't realised how much it would be to freshen up.

janethegirl2 Fri 12-Feb-16 22:01:03

I was robbed then angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now