Painting old teak garden furniture.

(8 Posts)
tingon Wed 10-Feb-16 20:56:41

I have some neglected teak garden furniture and would like to give it a shabby pale paint finish. I can't find any information about which paint to use, every site I look on talks about primer and several coats of stuff and that's not what I want. I'm mainly concerned about bits flaking off and making a mess, but I'm not looking for a smart finish. I'm wondering about using a sprayer for speed or if chalk paint would work outside.

Any one tried this? I know teak is oily and can be tricky.

Hobbes8 Wed 10-Feb-16 22:11:35

I've used that Cuprinol garden shades stuff on some hard wood furniture. It wasn't teak, but it was a similar hard wood that had never been oiled and had gone that kind of silvery colour. It's bright blue now and looks nice, but it's quite a rough patchy finish. Fine if you're after a shabby chic look.

tingon Wed 10-Feb-16 22:37:16

Thanks Hobbs I've looked at their website and that looks really promising.

JustBeingJuliet Thu 11-Feb-16 00:21:08

I've also used the Cuprinol stuff and it's gone on really well. Mine was an old table and chairs set that I was given, which had gone silvery with age. I didn't undercoat, but I did lightly sand, and it's now a lovely shade of bright blue smile

skippy67 Thu 11-Feb-16 07:31:20

Another vote for Cuprinol. I painted a table and chairs last year, and they've come up really well.

Pradaqueen Thu 11-Feb-16 09:19:20

Yep. Used Cuprinol here too. Fab pale grey result here. Think it was a custom colour called 'frosted glass' . I did use a primer first as I wanted a solid colour finish. Check that the primer is compatible though , my DH bought the wrong one halfway through and I nearly cried as all of the colour ran off all 8 chairs...,!

slicedfinger Thu 11-Feb-16 09:24:41

Yes Cuprinol here too! It was really easy to put on, just a light sand. A good range of colours too.

tingon Thu 11-Feb-16 09:31:51

Thanks everyone, that's so helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now