Talk

Advanced search

Who is responsible for repairing white goods tenant or landlord?

(20 Posts)
Katarzyna79 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:24:52

hi,

we have a washing machine provided by the landlord, so on moving in we gave ours to a family member who was in need. Few months on the provided washer has stopped working, and is beyond repair. The tenancy agreement does not mention white goods at all, no mention of the washing machine or refrigerator.

So do we have to replace it? My husband is saying no, but surely the landlord will ask why it's not working then it could get awkward?

the landlord has not been great but that is a different story I want to do what is right.

Katarzyna79 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:26:06

I have looked online but there is conflicting advice, on which, it states no obligation to replace it, tenants duty. But on other sites it states the opposite?

no mention in tenancy agreement btw what's the uk law on this?

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 10-Feb-16 17:28:51

Hmm, well you rented the place with it in situ, so it's included in the price. Landlord's responsibility, I'd say. Or you could buy a new one and take it with you when you leave. Speak to your ll and she what s/he thinks.

absolutelynotfabulous Wed 10-Feb-16 17:37:27

I think the correct thing to do would be to replace it like for like, as it was provided with the property. You should, however, have reported it as not working so that you could have had it replaced or repaired at the time.

I don't think a landlord would be awkward as such; machines break down and they are not particularly expensive to replace.

If it were me as landlord, I think I'd replace it without question and put it down to wear and tear.

Katarzyna79 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:38:38

I hope so hirples because we plan on moving next year. we have a crap refrigerator integrated, door wont close we've wedged it so food doesn't go off, he said he'd fix hasn't. If there was room enough in the kitchen we'd have kept our free standing one, but there wasn't.

leaking roof in a bedroom said he;d fix but this has been an issue before we rented the roof guy told us so. Only since we put it in writing he managed to get someone down.

boiler was not working all winter, again calling him constantly eventually fixed maybe a month ago?

Worst landlord I've had, I expected it. ive seen Asian cowboy landlords before, and laughed with my husband I bet he's one,and sure enough he's proved the stereotype correct. I am Asian I know it's a discriminatory comment but it wont change my mind until I have a good Asian landlord. Well ive had 1 good Asian 1, 3 bad uns. rest Caucasian brits never had issues with them nothing major anyway.

the guy is a millionaire I don't understand why he can't get basic repairs done ie boiler, leaking roof of a luxury house?

KP86 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:40:28

Unless he can prove you broke it through negligence or deliberate action, then I think it's the landlords responsibility to either repair, replace or reduce your rent to compensate.

Katarzyna79 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:41:03

absolutely it just packed in yesterday with all my clothes in it. repair guy said it needs to be replaced no point fixing it. So we haven't left it without telling him, I will tell my husband to inform him.#

its just that he only popped down the other day about the leaking roof which he has been avoiding. he';s clearly miffed that he's having to pay for that, but that's not our fault that';s been an issue before we moved in, he didn't tell us about it, just said it was a plastering issue. Now if we mention this I think he's going to go off on one?

HappenstanceMarmite Wed 10-Feb-16 17:45:01

It depends what is stated on the Tenency Agreement. If the house is let unfurnished then white goods are usually seen as "goodwill", so the landlord might replace them, but is not obliged to do so.

HappenstanceMarmite Wed 10-Feb-16 17:45:25

*Tenancy

KP86 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:47:38

If that's the case Happensense, then the tenants are also not responsible for replacing when they move out (ie. if OP buys another it is now theirs and they take when they move).

Muskateersmummy Wed 10-Feb-16 17:47:54

When we had tenants we were told by our ea that it was our responsibility as the landlords to repair any white goods which were present when we let the property.

Our landlady was also informed of the same thing when we offered to leave our white goods when we moved out of our rented property.

KP86 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:48:02

**Happenstance, sorry!

Muskateersmummy Wed 10-Feb-16 17:48:55

Happenstance... If it's described as unfurnished but the white goods are listed in the property inventory then it's the landlords responsibility

absolutelynotfabulous Wed 10-Feb-16 17:49:27

Ah I see. From what you say, I doubt he'd replace it. He sounds a right one! In your shoes, I think I'd go with the option of replacing it yourself and take it with you.

What a pain! Put everything in writing, though-a screenshot email should do it. Just to cover yourself.

msrisotto Wed 10-Feb-16 17:50:05

Oh it's definitely not your responsibility to replace. I think haggis is right - as it was in situ, the landlord is responsible for replacing it. I was a LL of a flat with an old TV that was on it's last legs. I CBA to remove it whilst it was working so had a clause put in the agreement saying it was provided for as long as it worked and beyond that I wasn't going to replace it. All in the contract.

Redhound Wed 10-Feb-16 17:59:57

Musketeers is right, if the landlord supplies it the landlord should fix/replace it. Unless it is stated otherwise. I was advised when letting to just supply an oven nothing else as cuts down hassle from a landlords point of view.
The landlord is a fool for not maintaning the house, he would lose good tenants and the house, his investment presumably, will deteriorate.

specialsubject Wed 10-Feb-16 18:04:39

WTF? More crooked agents - remember they are unregulated.

landlord provides, landlord fixes. If tenant provides, tenant fixes. Unless contract says otherwise, and contract is agreed.

Katarzyna79 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:06:15

house is immaculate he's just not a nice guy i know there are good landlords ive had several good ones.

ive just been told washer was left by previous tenant. So ill buy one take it with me . Not a good time money is tight, but thats always the case breakdowns when theres little spare cash (sighs)

HappenstanceMarmite Wed 10-Feb-16 20:34:42

Musketeer - I think it depends on what is in the Tenancy Agreement. Mine clearly states that white goods are not my responsibility but that it is at my discretion as to whether I repair or replace.

And yes of course - if the tenant replaces white goods, then they take them when they move out.

19lottie82 Thu 11-Feb-16 06:51:34

Bottom line is, if the place is rented "unfurnished"...... Then your lease will stipulate of the LL is responsible for the maintenance of white goods. If it's not mentioned, then he bears no responsibility. However likewise, if WG are not mentioned then you are not obliged to replace either.

Have you been in touch with your LL to discuss? Put your request in writing.

BTW I'm not sure what being Asian has to do with being a cowboy landlord. I suggest you ask MN to edit that post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now