Talk

Advanced search

Re-use old carpet underlay?

(5 Posts)
billybunter4 Wed 10-Feb-16 09:00:54

Just chucked out a grotty carpet but was surprised to see the 20yo underlay in remarkably good condition. The underlays I saw in Carpetright were crap by comparison. Is it worth reusing my old underlay or will I regret it?

JT05 Wed 10-Feb-16 09:27:52

Often it is the underlay that makes the carpet last and feel good, underfoot. I would not reuse it if it was 20 yrs old. It will perish at some time and ruin the new carpet.

But I wouldn't use Carpetright either.

billybunter4 Wed 10-Feb-16 09:43:06

It must have been really good quality when it was new because it's thicker & springier than the modern foam underlays.

Ruhrpott Wed 10-Feb-16 10:18:32

We used ours, it's worked out well as it was a good quality one (and cheaper!)

Lelivre Wed 10-Feb-16 10:52:05

We are going through this. We were going to keep the underlay. We thought it was pretty good until we looked at them side by side. The other thought is mold and mildew, moths etc. Are you certain your 20 year old underlay is free? Are you sure you don't want to spend the extra now given all the trouble you are going to?

The underlay in the pic is 11mm it is costing just over £3m2. This would be more than double at carpet right. The carpet it's an English wool at £14.99 m2 which again would be much more expensive at carpet right. Please shop around (online) and find a recommended local fitter. They may give you unbiased advice when quoting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now