Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is this crack bad

(8 Posts)
nexus86 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:40:39

We just had a homebuyers survey come back recommending we have a structural engineers report. I quote "There are signs that the property is affected by serious structural movement as evidenced by cracking to the internal and external walls."

Im obviously slightly worried what this could potentially end up costing. I haven't seen the exterior cracks that he mentions. But this picture shows the internal ones. Does anyone know if this looks serious/expensive?

TheoriginalLEM Sat 06-Feb-16 18:44:35

Does the external crack go through the bricks?

it is quite a big crack to be honest - and it doesn't look like settlement. Id have the report done in your shoes.

WowOoo Sat 06-Feb-16 18:50:26

It looks bad to me. I'd want that sorted before I walked on that landing.

Can you take a closer look at the outside? We used binoculars to get a close up of our roof problem recently. I couldn't see it from the ground until I got a close up.

eleven59 Sat 06-Feb-16 19:20:17

"There are signs that the property is affected by serious structural movement as evidenced by cracking to the internal and external walls."

This says it all to me. Either get the structural report, find out the extent of the problem, how much it'll cost to fix and renegotiate the buying price or walk away.

Penfold007 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:18:14

Sounds and looks bad, getting a mortgage and buildings insurance will be very difficult. Walk away.

Moving15 Sun 07-Feb-16 00:27:42

I don't know why any buyer would pay for a survey on suspected subsidence. The current owner should be able to arrange this through their buildings insurance without cost to you. If there is a subsidence problem they will need to tackle it through their buildings insurance before selling and even then selling will be very difficult as mortgage companies and insurers will be awkward

CocktailQueen Sun 07-Feb-16 00:34:58

Yes - diagonal cracks are bad. Cracks that are horizontal are not so bad.

But

there are signs that the property is affected by serious structural movement as evidenced by cracking to the internal and external walls.

is clear and sounds very bad.

wickedwaterwitch Sun 07-Feb-16 00:37:25

I'd walk away
That's what surveys are for - I've walked away from a house after a ££ survey before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now