Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking for insulation backed board to put between bed and cold external wall

(8 Posts)
johnnybuoy Sat 06-Feb-16 00:01:20

My daughters bed is up against a cold external wall so I was looking to but some sort of board with insulation at the back between her bed and the the wall.
It doesn't have to be very big ..say 2 feet by 3 feet by 1/2 inches thick.
I don't want to dryline the wall because that would take a couple of inches away from what is already a very small .
Any suggestions appreciated.

Ruhrpott Sat 06-Feb-16 00:09:43

What about maybe using wood flooring underlay. Has the advantage of a damp proof membrane too. Not sure if it would work but is a lot thinner than board. We have half a roll spare in the garage if your in South Wales. Something like this
www.discountflooringdepot.co.uk/sound-master-gold-5mm-underlay-10m2-p443

johnnybuoy Sat 06-Feb-16 00:37:09

I should have said I want something solid that I can paint the same colour as the wall as it will be visible.

AlwaysOutnumberdNeverOutgunned Sat 06-Feb-16 00:50:54

A rug might work well.

member Sat 06-Feb-16 01:08:46

Wall rock thermal liner? It's like an insulating wallpaper between 3 & 4 mm deep that can be painted over. Not quite as effective as plasterboard with insulation bonded to it but you should get a warmer room without losing space?

JT05 Sat 06-Feb-16 10:06:18

B&Q sell insulation board in varying sizes. I can't remember if it has a plasterboard finish. You could make a feature pin board of it if it can't be painted.

Qwebec Sun 07-Feb-16 03:31:48

I they the key would be the opposite, rather than trying to blen in make a contrast like a soft headboard (the are all kind of DIY tutorials) to be used for the length of the bed, it could double as a comfy seating during the day .

I like the rug idea too, and there are sum fun textures out there like this: www.ultimatehomeideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Textured-rug-headboard-ideas-for-bedroom.jpg

PigletJohn Sun 07-Feb-16 13:41:54

a thin one will not be effective.

Consider that CWI is between 2 and 4 inches thick, and loft insulation is between 6 and 10. The products that are basically high-priced wallpaper are no good, they feel warm to your finger because you are touching a less conductive surface and you are feeling your finger warmth.

You could screw a rigid foam-backed insulating plasterboard to the wall if you wanted, but less than an inch of foam will not be worth the trouble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now