Talk

Advanced search

Landscaped vs wildflower meadow

(6 Posts)
Angelina77 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:16:43

I'm buying a new build property (off plan), we complete in 2 weeks and the site will still be around 12-18 months off being complete, including the council managed, public green space that is at the front of our house. The area is quite big and will include some ponds, trees and bushes etc. and we were lead to believe, early on, that it was going to be short mown grass, footpaths and be an area where the kids could kick a ball around, ride bikes etc.

Today I've been told that it's going to be wildflower meadow and the footpath on the plan is actually just mown grass. The grass either side of this 'path' will be 1-2 feet long and will protect the local wildlife that already exists there.

Initially I was really disappointed, and my other half is livid, but I'm not sure if actually the meadow will be better in the long run. Pictures of this type of meadow online look lovely, but in reality will it end up an overgrown mess? There are 12 houses surrounding this space in a large horshoe so they will all be invested in it being kept nice.

Any thoughts?

Angelina77 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:18:10

This is the plan (we are plot 35)

LBOCS2 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:19:10

Honestly? I managed new build estates before I went on maternity leave and wildflower meadow looks awful for quite a lot of the year - and requires a lot more maintenance than most agents and developers realise.

It may however be part of their planning conditions so there might be a limit to what you can do about it until the developers leave site.

Angelina77 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:24:37

Thanks, that's what I was worried about. I'm sure it looks pretty in the summer but what about the rest of the year? At least we will have the pond. And I agree with the principle of protecting the habitat so I can't really moan! I wonder what the other residents will make of it, I suppose time will tell.

specialsubject Fri 05-Feb-16 20:11:52

don't forget a name change, you've just given out your full address!

TotalConfucius Fri 05-Feb-16 21:08:50

Are those natural ponds? If so it could have been changed due to flood planning.
A local development here is up in arms as their promised playground and allotments just can't be done - the actual building of the houses/parking/access roads has changed the 'geology' so that that section of land is unusable now.
And still developers are putting in bids for flood plain land round here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now