Best flooring for new kitchen extension

(16 Posts)
GiveHerEffervescence Wed 03-Feb-16 16:30:52

Help me through the maze of flooring options. We're not going for underfloor heating. We want the same floor in kitchen as new dining / living area and new utility / toilet and hallway. Looking for warm feel, easy clean, hard wearing and gorgeous looking on a moderate budget. Not too much to ask then!

IShouldBeSoLurky Wed 03-Feb-16 18:20:56

Watching with interest as I have the same dilemma! Am increasingly tempted by underfloor heating though.

In an ideal world, aesthetically I'd like poured resin or polished concrete, but I think the cost will be prohibitive. Current favourite is concrete-effect porcelain tiles, but obviously that doesn't tick the "warm" box!

Provencalroseparadox Wed 03-Feb-16 18:23:49

I've just had underfloor heating put in my bathroom. It's the best thing ever <unhelpful>

AesopsMables Wed 03-Feb-16 19:02:53

We had the same dilemma. It ended up coming down to Porcelain 80x80 tiles which really suit a large space. However, had to increase budget substantially to allow for 45m2 of wet UFH as put bare foot on the sample and it was COLD.

If budget does not allow OP how about vinyl until you can do it? We did not want wood as that was previous floor and got bleached by sun.

Upthenoonoo Wed 03-Feb-16 19:43:12

I've just recommended these on another thread but have you checked out Harvey Maria? I stumbled upon their website on Houzz as we are just about to begin a rear kitchen/lounge extension. If I was brave enough I'd go for the bold designs but I like the look of the wood too grin

IShouldBeSoLurky Wed 03-Feb-16 20:13:02

Aesop do you mind me asking how much the UFH ended up costing?

I kind of feel that as we're laying a completely new floor anyway it might be worth doing...

thisisbloodyridiculous Thu 04-Feb-16 14:47:47

I'm having a gorgeous wood effect laminate from quick step in mine - the samples I got are brilliant !

ExConstance Thu 04-Feb-16 16:27:34

We have had Karendean Opus tiles in our new kitchen and are very pleased with them. They are warm underfoot, easy to clean and unlike the ceramic tiles we previously had muddy paw prints etc. seem to fade very quickly pending a clean, rather than sit there looking very obvious. They have been down since the End of last September and we have had no problems at all. exactly like this If you et samples they look a bit odd as a single tile but once down the effect is really good.

AesopsMables Thu 04-Feb-16 21:08:51

Ishould to be honest we have not even had a final price yet from our builders as there is a provisional sum in for all heating. However, they are charging us £2k for an additional 12x15 room that I can tell you. It needs the floorboards taking up and all the rest of the gubbins going in and making it in line with the new kitchen/family room.

GiveHerEffervescence Sun 07-Feb-16 07:42:10

Well, I've looked a poured resin flooring and realised this may be beyond the budget! How much does karndean cost to buy and then be fitted, per sq m roughly?

suffolkpunch85 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:26:10

We got a quote for Amtico (similar to Karndean) recently which was 70/m2 fitted. We are looking at bamboo or Quickstep as we want the same flooring throughout the downstairs

poocatcherchampion Sun 07-Feb-16 08:28:31

We have quickstep laminate and love it!

bonzo77 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:34:51

Fwi as similar situation here. Wanted a "quiet" material as have 3 boys. Bit worried about the "designer vinyls" like karndean and Amtico due to very heavy wear and marking from soles (based on previous experience with Dalsouple). Currently have laminate which is badly worn. Thinking of ceramic with electric UFH to take the edge off. But most worried about noise with that.

suffolkpunch85 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:49:25

We were told that all furniture needed pads on the top with Karndean type flooring as it was good practice. Also a colleague that has Karndean says it's very nice but black soled shows do mark the floor but it's easily removed.

We have had a Homebase laminate down for 5 years with a toddler, four cats, two messy adults and no furniture pads without issue so not sure I can deal with a vinyl!

My main concern is how waterproof a non tile is in a kitchen area

AesopsMables Sun 07-Feb-16 10:20:51

We have Karndean in our bedroom/En Suite. It really is v good. Warmer and quieter than tiles and just as hard wearing. The only reason we are not going for it in kitchen is I do not like the 'tile effect' and didn't want a wood effect downstairs.

ExConstance Sun 07-Feb-16 13:07:37

There is a huge Karndean showroom at their headquarters near Evesham where they have every type of floor they make laid, so you can see it better. it is very hard to judge from just seeing tiles or strips in a shop. they will give you several large samples to take home in 3 or 4 types so you can lay them down on teh floor to help you decide. This is worth doing if you have trouble making up your mind - we went back 3 times before we decided, I could almost do a small room with all the samples! Having gone through the briging up a family thing in this house and now being empty nesters there is a sound argument for having something like laminate or vinyl that is cheap and cheerful when you have young children, it isd only now they have flown the nest I can see how much filth and damage they caused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now