Windows Above Internal Doors - Painted

(8 Posts)
Lemansky Tue 02-Feb-16 17:15:24

The door to our bedroon has three little windows above it, presumably to give some light into the landing. However, the previous owners have painted the landing panes a lovely shade of peach (not quite sure how else to describe it).

The bedroom side wasn't painted but looked awful so we've put some window film over it to make it look nicer and I thought it might be a good idea to do the same on the other side.

However I think it would be worth trying to get the paint off first - any ideas how to go about doing that. I'm not sure whether there's a specific paint stripper that's good for glass, or anything like that.

Thanks for any advice.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 02-Feb-16 17:18:45

Honestly? I'd get a glazier in to replace them. It's not too expensive.

May09Bump Tue 02-Feb-16 17:20:42

yep - just replace the glass.

Lemansky Tue 02-Feb-16 17:22:45

I hadn't even thought about that, so it is definitely something we'd not budgeted for.
How would I go about finding a glazier - just on checkatrade or something?
The other doors on the landing look like they had the same windows above them, but they've either been removed or plastered over as far as I can tell.
We're having the whole hallway/landing area replastered at the beginning of April - would it be better to have them replaced before or after that's done if we got a reasonable quote?

LizzieMacQueen Tue 02-Feb-16 17:44:42

I think I would replace before decorating as it is easier to cover them up than have to re-do any scratches made when they are replaced.

I have found local glaziers just through google.

redhat Tue 02-Feb-16 17:46:38

is it painted with emulsion or gloss? If its emulsion you may find it cleans off with some turps and a rag.

Lemansky Wed 03-Feb-16 11:05:09

It's gloss sadly. I have contacted a local glazier to get started with the quotes. Decorating isn't happening until April so if we can afford to do it, hopefully it'll be done before then.
Thanks for all the help.

redhat Wed 03-Feb-16 11:27:15

It won't cost much. We had the glass in a small single glazed window replaced last month and it cost £35.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now