Talk

Advanced search

What kitchen floor to lay to sell house

(11 Posts)
Nastylinotiles Tue 02-Feb-16 13:31:40

We are planning to sell this year but our kitchen floor is really horrible - Lino tiles that suck in the dirt, they never look clean, even freshly washed, and they're all coming up.

Dp wants to stick them back but I want to replace with cheapish sheet vinyl.

Place is likely to sell for around £700k and the area we're in the buyer is likely to be a city type who wants a good finish, but equally may well come in, rip it all out, and start again.

Would you re-stick existing or new vinyl? If new vinyl what type/design/colour?

Also in hallway the stripped woods floors are worn through - would you sand and revarnish, or cover with a runner?

Pics below smile

IssyStark Tue 02-Feb-16 14:16:56

I would have thought cheapish vinyl would be best. Won't cost much, should look good and not a great problem if they want to replace.

I'd sand and revarnish the hall (and put down a runner!)

Nastylinotiles Tue 02-Feb-16 14:45:19

Thanks issy

But what colour would you do in my kitchen? I would normally say beige/neutral faux tiles for sale, but I think it would shriek with all the wood?

IssyStark Tue 02-Feb-16 15:03:02

I'd be tempted to say black or dark brown.

Qwebec Tue 02-Feb-16 16:24:37

Definitly sand, or it will give the impression that you made a cosmetic tweak and I would wonder what else was patched up. (I would look under the runner as I hate carpets).

Vinyl flooring is a tricky one. I would ask the estate agent you plan on hiring if for the area it would make a difference on the price vinyl over tiling.

Vinyl can look v cheap, if you go for that I'd go and get the beat you are willing to pay for so the buyers won't be obliged to rip it off to make the kitchen look nice.

For the color since you cabinets are brown I'd go for white and grey, it's trendy and neutral at the same time.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 02-Feb-16 17:23:00

Not black or brown, it will show every crumb bitter. I would put something lightish down, but with a subtle pattern. Anything with a uniform colour will highlight dirt.

I think you need to be realistic - will someone want to re-do the kitchen. Its difficult to see from the photo but if someone is thinking they'll have to re-do the kitchen it probably doesn't matter what you put on the floor.

How big a job would the hall be to lay wooden flooring? If its not too much I'd be tempted to do that rather than sand or put down a runner.

mrsmortis Tue 02-Feb-16 17:55:36

We have lino that looks like slate floor tiles. Our cabinets are a similar colour to yours so that might work for you.

Nastylinotiles Tue 02-Feb-16 18:15:47

I like the slate idea - is it easy to keep clean? Just concerned to keep it nice in the interim between laying it and selling.
Also is it not very dark? The kitchens not huge - about 3.5m square. It has a high ceiling, but only one window - although that is fairly large, about 1.3m X 2m.

Kitchen is handmade solid wood, made by a friend but of course not to everyone's taste and someone may well want to change it.

I will ask agents about vinyl, but tbh I can hardly bear to live with it for the next few months. I tried to deep clean the floor with a strong bleach solution recently and since then all of the tiles have started to lift at their edges. It was always hard to keep clean but now it's actually impossible. It makes my skin crawl. <shudder>

Nastylinotiles Tue 02-Feb-16 18:17:23

Hadn't considered laying wooden flooring on top of the floorboards. I guess it would be less mess and hassle, hmm. Will have to price up both and then tackle dp...

SmellTheGlove Tue 02-Feb-16 19:33:52

We got a light stone effect sheet vinyl when we were tarting up the place to sell. Looked quite nice actually. Can you take up old tiles easily because you can't lay new floor on uneven surface. You could stick the dodgy ones back down and lay over that possibly. Preparing the sub floor adds to cost but having the actual vinyl laid is quite cheap.

Nastylinotiles Tue 02-Feb-16 20:24:14

Pretty sure they'll come up very easily - the baby's been 'helping' already by picking them off grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now