Talk

Advanced search

Woodburner before or after plastering/flooring?

(6 Posts)
silversixpence Mon 01-Feb-16 14:29:25

I'd like to have a woodburner and traditional fireplace (two different rooms) installed in our new house but we also need to plaster/paint and then do floors (either sanded floorboards or install wooden floor). Should we do the fireplaces before the other works? Any idea of how much its likely to cost?

Afishcalledchips Mon 01-Feb-16 14:35:55

I'd go for the wood burner in first, it's a potentially messy job, then plastering (and painting) then flooring and then final touch ups to decor.

I'm not sure about the cost but it'll depend on whether your chimney is lined and which burner you chose

StompyFreckles Mon 01-Feb-16 14:36:53

I was talking to someone who fits wood burners about this yesterday - he said fitting wood burners is very, very messy and should be done before any work on floors / walls etc.

StompyFreckles Mon 01-Feb-16 20:25:37

He also said cost is usually £2500-£3000.

silversixpence Mon 01-Feb-16 20:31:28

Wow, that would be far too much for us. Had a quote of 1.2k installation including lining the flue etc.

notarehearsal Tue 02-Feb-16 06:25:08

The fitting of my wood burner with a new brick tiled hearth didn't make any mess ( well I guess it did but it was totally cleaned up before I saw it) The burner cost about £600 and the fitting cost around £1200 five years ago. best couple of thousand Ive spent in this house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now