Slugs through bifold doors- how to fix?

(10 Posts)
Maplessglobe Sun 31-Jan-16 12:47:40

Hello,
I'm sure this will be the first of many questions I will post to you clever people, having just moved into a new house. It's a great house but hasn't been looked after particularly well.
The first job I have no idea how to tackle is that there are huge bifold doors and slugs are getting in through a corner where there is a tiny bit of a draft. I've read about all the slug trapping ways, but my question now is about how to fix the problem itself. The gap must be tiny- we can't see anything, but they squeeze themselves in anywhere, don't they? How do we fix this? I don't even know who to ask. a local bifold door supplier/fitter?
Yuck.
Thank you.

breakfastnotattiffanys Sun 31-Jan-16 18:05:42

Slug slime reacts with copper (which they DO NOT like apparently)I've been told! Could you cobble something up with some copper tape to discourage the little blighters! It's quite cheap at b & q!

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Mon 01-Feb-16 20:49:54

Pour salt down the gap ?

oldboiler Mon 01-Feb-16 21:07:15

We bought some copper tape from b&q and put it along the bottom of the door frame. We haven't seen a slug since so worked for us so far.

Maplessglobe Fri 05-Feb-16 21:44:42

Hello,
I somehow missed these responses! Thank you, will try the copper tape. What I really meant was who do I need to ask to find and fix the gap? I guess something needs to be resealed.

FinnMcCool Fri 05-Feb-16 21:48:47

To fix a gap you need to get a local window, preferably bifold, supplier out to see the problem. Is it probably just a seal needs replacing?
Test it with a hairdryer on low heat and see where the gap is.

Maplessglobe Sat 06-Feb-16 11:20:59

Thank you, I did a bit of late night googling of bifold suppliers local to us- none of them mention repairs but I'll call them and see.
Thanks.

Hufflepuffin Sat 06-Feb-16 18:59:03

A strip of copper tape from the garden centre stopped slugs coming in our front door (they didn't even knock!!)

Bragadocia Sun 07-Feb-16 11:25:51

The slugs' entry point to our living room is under the floor and up the copper pipes of the radiator. Perhaps ours are masochists.

Maplessglobe Mon 08-Feb-16 09:16:32

bragadocia grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now