Advanced search

Architect or someone else?

(13 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Sat 30-Jan-16 19:30:20

We area long way off, but just curious as to what we need to do.

Our house is a funny shape with a single story extension already in place.

If we wanted to extend to make more space, but didn't actually know what would work or where and what to extend, do you get an architect round to look at it and advise?

I wouldn't want detailed plans at this stage but more someone to come round and look at it and give some ideas what would work

Who would you ask? Architect? Builder? Surveyer?

SocksRock Sat 30-Jan-16 19:40:52

Architectural technician might be a good start? They tend to do smaller projects, an experienced one will have seen a lot of funny shaped houses, they are not qualified to the same level as an architect, but are generally cheaper

JT05 Sat 30-Jan-16 21:16:26

Go onto the website for the RIBA's Architect in the house scheme. For a suggested donation of £40 given to Shelter, you can have an hour consultation with an Architect in your area.

There is no further obligation.

ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 31-Jan-16 13:23:19

Thanks! Excellent advice, I didn't know about these things. Thanks both so much.

monkeyblonde Sun 31-Jan-16 13:55:20

This sounds exactly what we need as well, although the RIBA link doesn't work on the website. Has anyone used it recently?

Findmeinthekitchenatparties Sun 31-Jan-16 14:51:44

I've also tried to look into the scheme - I'm not sure it is still running. Would be interested to know if it is...

JT05 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:12:04

Hi, it should be found at

IShouldBeSoLurky Sun 31-Jan-16 20:20:18

That link is dead - I googled earlier and I don't think it's running any more, although a similar scheme in Scotland is.

didireallysaythat Sun 31-Jan-16 21:02:41

I'd second a technician or architectural designer. If you are up front and make it clear you'll pay for their time, I think it's a very reasonable idea (it's what we did smile). But they won't be able to give you an idea of costs without going a bit further..

JT05 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:10:17

Oops, sorry about that!

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 31-Jan-16 21:18:01

Following this as it sounds exactly like our situation too!

DickDewy Sun 31-Jan-16 21:21:19

My own experience of Architect in the House was dreadful. It was a complete and utter waste of time, apart from the fact I gave £60 to charity.

I would look at your local council's planning weekly list on their web pages. The same agent names will come up again and again (and they're more likely to be technicians) - and that's how I would choose people to come and advise.

GingerNutRiskIt Sun 31-Jan-16 21:22:02

DH is an architect and he goes out to people's homes to give advice especially since there are certain things planners would not pass etc. A local architect would be able to give advice about what is likely to pass, as plans that don't pass the planning process can take a long time to renegotiate and could end up going to committee. It could be costly. So you're better off getting someone local with experience on what is best likely to pass first time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now