Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New kitchen - plinth or not?

(9 Posts)
Blueprintorange Thu 28-Jan-16 23:26:14

I've noticed on lots of pictures on rightmove that houses with obviously newish kitchens don't always have plinths, so the cabinet legs are exposed.

Is this a thing now? Do you think people are choosing to do away with plinths? It make the kitchens look unfinished I think! I've not just noticed this in brand new houses, but also in family homes too.

Surely you'd end up on your hands and knees everyday sweeping the crumbs out?

wowfudge Fri 29-Jan-16 00:02:42

I would always have plinth because if you don't you will need to clean under all the cabinets and you'll have the extra expense of having to have wall-to-wall flooring, which has to go down first before any base cabinets are fitted.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 29-Jan-16 08:31:28

You could choose a mirror plinth to give the effect of no plinth without the hassle of cleaning under there. ( it's not a look not for everyone though - looks better on modern kitchens !)

redhat Fri 29-Jan-16 08:36:44

I have a set back plinth.

My cabinets are constructed in the normal way and have a plinth in the normal way but then they also have "feet" which line up with the front of the cabinet. As a result there is only an area of roughly 10cm depth for crumbs to hide but the "look" is right.

Look on Houzz. you'll find loads of examples (close up photos too) which will help you.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 29-Jan-16 08:43:01

Will no one think of the dust that hides behind the plinth???? It gathers there, growing, evolving, waiting...
Or am I a little obsessed?

(Do people remove the plinth to clean behind it?)

Etak15 Fri 29-Jan-16 08:47:42

I think Plinth looks better, also still have wall to wall flooring whatever you decide - if something leaks then the water will come forward and you'll know about it if you don't then the water will all go behind into the floor (for 10 years like the previous owner of our house did and rotted the whole kitchen floor and a couple of joists and make the walls damp)

Afishcalledchips Fri 29-Jan-16 08:58:25

If I had no plinths then there would be crumbs, a stray pen, a squished cherry tomato, dog hair and various other goodies under there. I'm not even that slovenly.
We're going for a fairly traditional shaker style kitchen in a Victorian house though, so the legs on display style really wouldn't suit.
In a modern kitchen with a family that are really on top of the housework I'm sure it would look nice though.

redhat Fri 29-Jan-16 09:02:44

We rented a house without plinths once - I bought a roomba because otherwise it was a nightmare.

MiaowTheCat Sat 30-Jan-16 08:09:37

No plinth?! They obviously don't have posting obsessed toddlers to live with!

Going for a modern looking kitchen when ours is done next week - but hell yes am I getting plinths fitted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now