Talk

Advanced search

Best quality masonry paint?

(6 Posts)
cressetmama Thu 28-Jan-16 20:45:50

Re-rendering the southwest elevation of the house, which takes all the wind and rain. It was spardashed, as is the rest of the house. Over the summer, I need to paint it over. Happy to spend enough to do a top class job, as long as I get about 10 years out of the work. What paint would you recommend, and in what colour for rural Cornwall. Nothing too bright would work and it needs to tone with a local brown/grey slate and wooden windows? I have been lokoking at Mylands and Benjamin Moore paint cards in particular. Any advice?

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Thu 28-Jan-16 21:10:13

I'd use Sandtex. I'm not sure if there's a wide range of colours though. I only needed white. It lasted for years in very wet, windy and wild conditions. I've tried other brands before and none have lasted as well.

cressetmama Tue 14-Jun-16 10:53:15

Someone suggested Murfill Renovate (as used on lighthouses apparently) but for any colour other than PBW, it's a 10 can minimum order. The trade paint counter says All Seasons Weathershield is good. Any expert painter-decorators have an opinion?

PigletJohn Tue 14-Jun-16 11:45:00

I've always been happy with Dulux Weathershield. I am suspicious of lentil-weaving technology and fashionable brands. As well as the off-the-shelf colours, you can have it mixed to your taste at a Decorators Centre. If you keep a record, you can order it the same another time, though by then, the original will have weathered so it will not quite match.

Rough surfaces use a lot of paint. If you're not sure how much you need, get plenty to do one side of the house, then after you've done that you can calculate litres and square meters and make a better estimate for the remainder. If you use leftovers from your first batch for mist-coat and patching, it will be covered by your second coat of the next batch. I prefer two mist coats.

Slight differences due to different batches will not show as long as you do each side in a single batch, and preferably box the tubs. Use a mixing tool in a cordless drill to stir very thoroughly.

cressetmama Tue 14-Jun-16 13:15:53

Thank you PigletJohn. I have done the calculations for quantity and will order an extra 5 litres to play it safe. The plasterer who suggested the Murfill paint would guffaw at the idea of lentil weaving; he does a lot of heritage and National Trust work, and they specify it, along with Trinity House. However, buying 20 litres is one thing; 50 litres leaves a lot of spare paint. Everyone seems relaxed with the Weathershield and I am choosing the colour to be fairly close to the spar, so grey! brew and cake

wonkylegs Tue 14-Jun-16 13:39:26

I've used Dulux weathershield on quite a few jobs now including my own house and I've always been happy with the result

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now