Crown vs Farrow and Ball

(16 Posts)
tittysprinkles Tue 26-Jan-16 17:34:35

In the process of renovating a house and now at the stage where we need to start thinking about paint. Really love the Farrow and Ball colours (have got that poncey book Living with Colour for inspiration) but having just painted some cards with a few of their samples the paint doesn't seem to go on nicely at all. It seems very runny and streaky.

The Crown sample (mellow sage) went on beautifully and is a really nice rich colour.

Would be interested to hear others experiences before I spend any more money on testers.

AesopsMables Tue 26-Jan-16 18:28:25

All our house is painted with Farrow and Ball. Every room.

We are mid extension and will be using Little Green and Zoffany.

Farrow and Ball colours are lovely, the paint is quite high maintenance though and coverage is not as creamy as the two above.

Bearbehind Tue 26-Jan-16 19:51:29

I'm totally hmm about things like this.

Why would you choose a streaky / runny paint over one you actually really like just because it's a posh brand?

I have no issue with paying for quality but if paying for a name results in a lower quality product that you don't actually like as much as alternatives, that complete madness IMO.

tittysprinkles Tue 26-Jan-16 20:17:44

The mellow sage by Crown is a definite but F&B seemed to have a wider range of neutral colours. That seem to actually be a bit shite when you lay them on (although tbf it is on card and not a wall).

Moln Tue 26-Jan-16 20:23:36

Out of those two I'd chose Dulux.

smile

lavendersun Tue 26-Jan-16 20:25:21

I have used crown's ancient artefact in my house which is a lovely sage y colour. That aside I have stuck with Dulux's supermatt, mixed in their 'poncey' period colour range in my very old house.

I have used F&B slipper satin and something else I can't remember in their floor paints.

I quite like getting the colour mixed in the paint of my choice. Doubt my old decorator chap has heard of F&B to be honest, but he is happy with Dulux!

Georgina1975 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:25:51

I honestly think Dulux trade is difficult to beat. We always use it nowadays. A ton of decorators rate it and a Georgian building that I used to work in was head to toe Dulux trade. Looked beautiful.

We have a sage green in our living areas that was done 7 years ago and we were just saying how great it still looks! Farrow and Ball is generally MUCH higher maintenance.

Basically we get this "cheaper" paint (but equal quality IMO) and get professionals in to do the decorating job. IMO a professional job (good prep & quality finish) is what really makes the difference to the final look and longevity.

lighteningirl Tue 26-Jan-16 20:27:49

I am a F&B convert you can't beat expensive paint for depth and tone but the first room (hallway) i did in Dimpse took three coats plus touch up I couldn't believe how hard it was to use. But is is amazing colour sometimes silvery blue sometimes almost grey I love it. The experts on mn recommended first coat 80/20 paint/water second coat 90/10 and use a brush. F&B is not designed for a roller and you won't get the right finish. I have just finished a room in Dayroom Yellow using this method it went on a dream and no mess no wastage am going to give the hallway another coat of Dimpse with a brush. Trying to convince dh to use Nancy's Blushes in bedroom.

cressetmama Tue 26-Jan-16 20:28:23

Benjamin Moore (a highly regarded American brand) has started selling in the Uk. Lots of neutral colours, huge range (indoor/outside etc) and IME (admittedly going back to when I lived in the US in the 80s) fantastic paint quality.

needtoloseastone Tue 26-Jan-16 20:39:20

I choose the f and b colour i like and have ir mixed in dulux diamond trade paint. With 4 DC it is great and the main thing it is wipable smile

Spectre8 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:44:33

I went through the 'which paint to use' tossing up between Dulux, F&B but in the end opted for Little Greene - best choice ever! I did the rooms myself and it went on like a dream and looks fab. Even the decorator I had come round to do the stairs asked who I had hired to paint my lounge grin

I had a medium beige colour in the hallway and I just couldn't be bothered to do an undercoat, slapped on one coat of little greene in 'Echo' which is a super light blue colour and it covered it with no visible brown showing through. Did a second coat just to make sure though! Contrast this to using Dulux jasmine white upstairs and painting it over a light-mid blue and it took 4 coats! Should of used little greene!

magicstar1 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:51:59

Crown gives me an instant headache and makes me sick. I used to get a guy to mix F&B colours in trade paint, but recently I bought Valspar premium and it goes on lovely. The colours are gorgeous too.

tittysprinkles Tue 26-Jan-16 20:55:09

Magicstar - the smell or the colour?!

The can of F&B Middleton Pink I just opened smelled of farts...

magicstar1 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:45:57

The smell lol...how's your fart paint now grin

Aworldofmyown Thu 28-Jan-16 19:19:40

I have just painted my dining room with Farrow & Ball something green!!

Its looks beautiful and the colour changes with the light, for a special colour i'm not sure you can beat it. However I wanted it in the hallway but just couldn't justify the cost and went for a colour match of a farrow and ball, its nice but not as nice.

LagoDiComo Thu 28-Jan-16 23:26:47

I was really disappointed in the modern emulsion from F&B, don't think I would buy again. Dulux Endurance went on ten times better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now