Talk

Advanced search

Grumble grumble moan moan

(25 Posts)
Cantseetheforest Tue 26-Jan-16 15:49:43

We are first time buyers and I've just out an offer on a house, huzzah!

When I made the appt yesterday with the agents, I asked what I needed to bring. They said just our id. I asked twice!

Today, at the appt, I was asked for financial info/proof of deposit. Fine, except part of our money is in my name and part is in dh's, but can I get hold of him? Noooo. The AIP certificate is in an email attachment that the agent can't open (nor can I on my phone). Can I get hold of my broker? Nooooo.

I'm DYING here. Why won't anyone call me back?? (We aren't the only ones putting an offer forward so want all my ducks in a row asap)

I'm super annoyed I wasn't told to bring this info yesterday. I would have had it sorted by now.

Afishcalledchips Tue 26-Jan-16 16:16:21

Gah! How annoying.

Deep breath, if it's meant to be, it will be!

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 16:19:46

Yep, unfortunately there are a million things that make house buying stressful. It sounds as if you're on top of things at your end though, so good luck

Cantseetheforest Tue 26-Jan-16 17:06:51

Thanks. No reply from dh or broker this afternoon, so I'll have to do it tomorrow. I hate waiting. wink

JT05 Tue 26-Jan-16 17:37:16

Console yourself with the idea that on the flip side there is a seller, who probably is worried whether you are going through with the purchase.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

kirinm Tue 26-Jan-16 19:00:55

Why do they need to see all of that? Is it usual?l

FB

kirinm Tue 26-Jan-16 19:02:08

Oops posted too early. I'm a first time buyer and have made an offer but haven't been asked to provide proof of everything. Does this only happen if the offer is accepted?

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 19:19:38

Its good practice to make sure people can afford houses and are ready to proceed before taking them on viewings. IME though few agents bother.

Cantseetheforest Tue 26-Jan-16 19:45:44

They've received a couple of offers and the vendor wants to make an informed decision based upon everyone's ability to proceed.

kirinm Tue 26-Jan-16 21:00:58

Ah okay. Oddly we've not been asked to provide proof but then we've also not had an offer accepted and are being outbid by tens of thousands!

Cantseetheforest Tue 26-Jan-16 21:03:35

Oh that is frustrating!

Cantseetheforest Wed 27-Jan-16 11:25:22

THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER I AM SO EXCITED I CANT STOP TYPING IN CAPS!!

Sunnyshores Wed 27-Jan-16 11:37:41

Well done! Isnt that nice that you've actually been chosen too smile

Cantseetheforest Wed 27-Jan-16 12:13:44

Thank you. smile Yes - I'm happy they went with us, though I'm fairly certain we were the highest offer anyway. The agents told me the vendor wanted someone who was willing to use their solicitor to speed up the process - this was probably a twisting of the truth a bit, but I don't really care as long as we are getting the house. If things move quickly, all the better!!!

SquinkiesRule Wed 27-Jan-16 20:47:57

You can't use the same solicitor as the vendors, thats a conflict of interest, go with one of your own, shop around and ask the prices for conveyancing and let them know the sale price.

IShouldBeSoLurky Wed 27-Jan-16 20:56:31

Congratulations - that is SO EXCITING!

kirinm Wed 27-Jan-16 21:05:14

Congratulations! Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you smile

Cantseetheforest Wed 27-Jan-16 22:08:58

Thanks! I meant the same office, not the same person. It's going to be very expensive to use them, but I wonder if the advantage (speed) is worth the extra cost.

SquinkiesRule Wed 27-Jan-16 22:11:09

We were told not even the same office. We asked when we were buying off a relative so didn't think it would be a problem.

TheSilveryPussycat Wed 27-Jan-16 22:54:22

Yes, it was my understanding that you had to use different firms of solicitors.

Paddletonio Fri 29-Jan-16 07:54:16

Do you mean they're asking you to use the in house solsbat the estate agent (I was asked to do this) or the same firm the seller is using?

Either way it's not up to them which sols you use.

kirinm Fri 29-Jan-16 09:32:41

Law firms can have a 'Chinese wall' so you can use the same but that would require a firm with multiple offices all doing conveyancing. I work in a large firm with about 20 offices but conveyancing is based in one location so it'd be near impossible to have a Chinese wall.

Cantseetheforest Fri 29-Jan-16 13:18:19

Well sod it. The agents lied (big surprise!) and the vendor couldn't care less which firm we use. The agents were only out for their commission. Cheeky beggars. I've instructed the cheaper solicitor and fired the agents' firm. Too bad I already paid £400 so I'll have to chase them up for it. But they haven't done any work for me so there shouldn't be a problem. She says.

kirinm Fri 29-Jan-16 13:23:10

If you don't get your money immediately - which you should do, there are rules about client money - ask for urgent referral to compliance and then threaten them with the SRA. If they're a respectable firm, you shouldn't have a problem.

Cantseetheforest Fri 29-Jan-16 13:31:30

As I have little faith in the EA, I rang up the firm direct and they were very pleasant. I should get that refunded on Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now