Talk

Advanced search

Big enough to be a kitchen diner?

(11 Posts)
Madblondedog Tue 26-Jan-16 10:14:10

We're going to do an extension but I am thinking about making it smaller to save costs. The width of the room is 3.54 and the length is 3.4 at present, would an additional 2.5m on the length be big enough for a good kitchen diner? I am pants at working this out.

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 12:20:18

So the kitchen would be 3.54m by 2.5m (not just the dining part?). Do you have a huge fridge that needs to go in the kitchen or is it all integrated units? Is the kitchen U shaped?

Maybe not room for a table and 4 chairs around it. How about an oversized worktop fitted to cabinets, with the overhang used as a breakfast bar. (not explained that well sorry!).
www.houzz.co.uk/photos/kitchen/size--compact/query/breakfast-bar/p/8

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 12:21:50

5th picture down on the link Harvey Jones Linear

Madblondedog Tue 26-Jan-16 12:29:25

At the moment the kitchen is 3.54x3.4, we are extending it to make it into a kitchen diner but we've had a few unexpected costs so I am considering making it smaller to save some money. I was wondering if we extended by say 2.5m (on the 3.4 side so the extension would be 3.54x 2.5m) would the end result kitchen diner of 3.54x 5.9m be big enoguh

The kitchen will be redone too

Titsywoo Tue 26-Jan-16 12:32:36

Yes that will be fine. We have 4.5 by 8 metres and it is huge with enough space for a 2 metre island, 8 seater tables and 2 sofas - all with good space around them. What you have will fit and kitchen and table in no question smile

pootlebug Tue 26-Jan-16 12:34:56

I think in principle it will be, but I think you need to get some graph paper and draw up layouts to work out exactly how big you need, with everything to scale. The size of the space we needed for dining table etc dictated how big our extension was on our kitchen diner. It may be that you need that size, or smaller, or larger - you won't know until you have worked out layout.

Go and chat to a kitchen company or two for ideas if you're stuck on how to lay it out.

Madblondedog Tue 26-Jan-16 12:37:11

I'm getting planning for up to 5m, so we do have some flexibility. I am just finding ways to reduce costs at the moment. Ideally we would go 3.5m and it seems silly not to just for the sake of an extra few ££ but then if I keep thinking like that then it will just get bigger and bigger!

I remember seeing pictures of yours previously Titsywoo and feeling very envious

Afishcalledchips Tue 26-Jan-16 12:59:35

Ours is similar in size to that, but we've got the added bonus of it being an awkward space with a staircase, fireplace, three doors and three windows.

We'll be having 7 Base units (including oven/dishwasher/sink), 3 wall cupboards and a couple of shelves. So not a huge kitchen. We also have a utility to store junk things that don'r get used every day, eg microwave, mixing bowls, blenders ect though. We also have a pantry -- under stairs cupboard--

Our table will be a rectangular one to fit four (six at a squeeze) shoved into the only corner with no doors.

It's plenty big enough, though we're working with what we have (an old building, no room to extend).

Have you tried the IKEA or other on-line kitchen planner? I found it really helpful to actually see the size and shape of the room in 3D with cabinets and furniture in it.

Madblondedog Tue 26-Jan-16 13:08:29

Yes, I've been playing around with them. I am tempted to arrange to visit a few kitchen show rooms with the measurements and get them to do me some designs so I can see how well things will go

Sunnyshores Tue 26-Jan-16 14:00:03

3.54x5.9 will be way big enough for table and chairs. As long as you dont have too many doors coming in or big fridge/Aga etc you'll be more than fine.

Madblondedog Tue 26-Jan-16 15:16:46

Hmmm, there will be one set of external double doors, one external door and an internal door.

I think I need to get some designs done, I keep going in the original kitchen and struggling with visualising it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now