Talk

Advanced search

Wall hung tumble dryer?

(11 Posts)
rubybleu Sun 24-Jan-16 10:05:34

After two weeks in a holiday let where we had the luxury of a washer, dryer AND dishwasher, we have decided we want to add a dishwasher and dryer to our kitchen. A few glasses of wine last night and we've figured out how to incorporate them into our awkwardly designed, but too new to be replaced (inherited) kitchen.

Where I'm from (Australia) it's normal to mount your tumble dryer on a wall, usually to save space and avoid having to crouch down. Tumble dryers are made to be used either right way up or upside down so the controls are at the right end irrespective of whether it's placed at floor level or wall hung.

My early morning googling has revealed very few wall hung models and none that can be used upside down. Is this not common in the UK or am I not looking hard enough?

Celeriacacaca Sun 24-Jan-16 14:47:46

Try www.fisherpaykel.com/uk/laundry.html A well-loved brand in NZ but this is their UK operation. They're not showing driers on their website but they'll be able to advise. They also do the dish drawer dishwasher www.fisherpaykel.com/uk/kitchen/dish-washers/dishdrawer.html which I've heard great things about from family in NZ.

SwedishEdith Sun 24-Jan-16 14:51:58

How high up on the wall do you want it? Can't you just stack the dryer on top of something else?

Jbck Sun 24-Jan-16 14:56:01

SIL in Oz has this and Id never heard of it, we are UK. She sais its common there but the only people I know who had heard of it had friends or relatives in Oz too.

wonkylegs Sun 24-Jan-16 15:05:49

Quick google gave me this instantly
whiteknightdryers.com/shop/white-knight-c35aw-inverted-compact-vented-reverse-tumble-dryer/?gclid=COGSjqfcwsoCFaLnwgodfCADGA

Onsera3 Sun 24-Jan-16 15:09:25

Ah yes people in NZ hang dryers upside down too.

I even phoned some dryer manufacturers in the UK to ask about this and they thought I was crazy.

Ours is stacked on top of washer with a brace to stop it running away.

rubybleu Sun 24-Jan-16 15:56:32

Thanks - house decorating has been a fairly steep learning curve in adjusting my expectations!

Ideally a dryer needs to be hung fairly high. When we bought our flat, my husband chose the tallest fridge I've ever seen which oddly looks 'right' as it is the same height as the kitchen's wall cabinets.

A washer and dryer stacked would only come up 2/3 - 3/4 of the height of the fridge/wall cabinets and I'd like it to look relatively uniform, so wall hung would be better. We'd put a shelf between the two appliances.

Wonky - I came across that one, but it's the only one I've come across, it's not a standard size & I'm a bit wary of the brand.

Celeriacacaca - I had a F&P single drawer dish washer in my first little flat I owned in Australia - it was great. They are very expensive here though (£1,000+!)

didireallysaythat Sun 24-Jan-16 15:56:41

In the UK I think most people stack their tumble driers - check Amazon for the kits.

SwedishEdith Sun 24-Jan-16 16:05:10

Would that not be too high to empty the dryer? I'm 5'6", but think I'd struggle with a dryer that's at a height to match the wall cupboards - think I'd need a stool.

wowfudge Sun 24-Jan-16 17:51:24

How about some sort of housing round a stacked washer and dryer and a bridging unit across the top taking everything to the same height as the units either side?

didireallysaythat Sun 24-Jan-16 22:26:15

The stacking kits provide a slide out shelf to.put your washing basket on. I'm 5-5 and have no problems. But maybe that's not what you meant Swedish ? Apologies if I'm confused..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now