Talk

Advanced search

What to do with spare room?

(6 Posts)
HavingaPanda Sat 23-Jan-16 19:17:05

Inspire by several current threads...

Looking to move house soon. Spare room currently being used as a general crap store, mostly books on bookcases, two wardrobes and a WHOLE LOAD of boxes, bags etc etc.

Currently boxing stuff up, decluttering, sorting but whilst reading MN in a break (slacking) began to reconsider packing all the books.

I want to get started, books will be fine in storage for a bit. But then what do I leave in the spare room? Other threads suggested that it needed furniture to show it off as a room.

So, pack books as part of decluttering or leave them and try to persuade buyers it is a new form of room - library / dressing room crossover? I don't have a spare bed...

wickedwaterwitch Sat 23-Jan-16 19:22:57

Is it a double or single?

wickedwaterwitch Sat 23-Jan-16 19:23:30

If it's a double I'd try to get a bed in there to show that you can iyswim, especially if it's a small double

HavingaPanda Sat 23-Jan-16 19:24:21

Would be pushing it to put a double bed in, but technically a double. Happily got two double wardrobes across one wall.

Cressandra Sat 23-Jan-16 19:25:36

I love my books but I do think a lot of bookshelves can look very busy.

I'd vote for dressing room, study or actual bedroom. A dressing room with tonnes of shoes would be very memorable and aspirational to some buyers!

We bought a bedframe for £30 on ebay when we were selling to demonstrate that you could get a full size bed in our smallest room. You could even use boxes of books or other furniture to mock up a bed, with a duvet and floor length throw over, but you'd have to cross your fingers no one sits on it!

HavingaPanda Sat 23-Jan-16 19:29:27

That all makes sense. So one bookcase of my need to keep with me books, move one of the wardrobes out into our room, put a (fake?) bed into the spare room, all so it looks like two real bedrooms.

Will have to get the measuring tape out...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now