Talk

Advanced search

Hot water cylinder - worth replacing?

(8 Posts)
Coldtoeswarmheart Fri 22-Jan-16 23:06:55

Do you think it's worth replacing a hot water cylinder when the boiler is changed?

Ours is c.30 years old and works fine, and is wrapped in a red jacket. We're possibly sticking with a conventional boiler and are pricing up all the peripheral bits now. Are new cylinders dramatically better than old ones, these days?

Manopaws Fri 22-Jan-16 23:55:12

is yours a bare copper one with a tie on red jacket? if so then I would replace the tank the new ones have far better insulation around them so keeps the water hotter for longer so less energy needed to heat the water so cheaper...

So, so many so's means it makes senSe.

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 23-Jan-16 08:49:31

No, not bare copper - the insulation on it is green, if that helps?

PigletJohn Sat 23-Jan-16 10:00:29

It's not thirty years old if it is green. Green is modern enough. A red jacket on top reduces heat loss even more. The pipes should also be lagged with Climaflex or similar, especially the ones between boiler and cylinder.

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 23-Jan-16 12:29:04

Interesting - it must have been replaced at some point, which is fairly suprising given the state of the rest of the house when we bought it. I'll look into getting the pipes lagged though.

allwornout0 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:11:12

Hope you won't mind me jumping in.
PigletJohn, if your cylinder tank has green foam around it, does it actually need anymore insulation on it or is the green foam enough?

PigletJohn Sat 23-Jan-16 21:28:00

It is not quite up to modern standards, but IMO, on any cylinder except a white one, a red jacket is worth having and will do some good and make some worthwhile improvement. If you have any bare pipes, lag those first.

I actually have two on mine, but I got them one year when the price was subsidised. The cheapest I have seen them this year is £14.59
I think they were down to £8 last year in Wilkinsons.

Loft tanks should also be insulated. Although lagging on the loft pipes is to delay freezing, the loft tanks are insulated to prevent them getting too hot in summer, and growing bacteria.

allwornout0 Sun 24-Jan-16 09:44:56

Thanks PigletJohn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now