Talk

Advanced search

The perfect light

(12 Posts)
Callthemodwife Fri 22-Jan-16 21:20:47

The previous owners of our house must have had a good deal on cheap office lighting as it's full of shiny grey-armed spotlights. It's a bit of a travesty as the house is 300 years old. We're redecorating the living room and I want a statement light for the ceiling, something traditional and fairly bright as the rooms in the house are quite dark (and we'll be using lamps most of the time). The search is complicated by very low ceilings, so the light needs to be flush, or at least flush mounted. I've seen this on Houzz which I love http://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/3186697/5-arm-wooden-flush-mount-thorndale-ceiling-light-traditional-other-metro

But it's in the U.S. Has anyone seen similar or anything else which might work here in the UK? I hate lighting, really struggle to visualise like I would with furniture or textiles!

Callthemodwife Fri 22-Jan-16 21:21:42

www.houzz.co.uk/photos/3186697/5-arm-wooden-flush-mount-thorndale-ceiling-light-traditional-other-metro

Trying again with a clicky link!

RandomMess Fri 22-Jan-16 21:25:24

You've checked BHS & Next I assume...

Callthemodwife Sat 23-Jan-16 08:46:49

Ha! Yes random I took a look but they're not big on the wrought iron/dark stuff!

FGSdontblameme Sat 23-Jan-16 08:58:11

Have you looked at Fritz Fryer and Jim Lawrence?
I've bought from both of them and never been disappointed.

redhat Sat 23-Jan-16 09:01:01

I second Jim Lawrence. I adore my Jim Lawrence lighting and it's always commented on.

Spickle Sat 23-Jan-16 10:22:26

Perhaps try these places:

www.lightingcompany.co.uk/about-us-i1

www.lightplanlighting.com/

lightstore.uk.com/index.html

Callthemodwife Sat 23-Jan-16 17:25:44

FGS and redhat I love Jim Lawrence too and have a few wall lights from there, but all the ceiling lights are pendants and hang low. Hadn't heard of Fritz Fryer before - it's a bit over budget but amazing to drool over!

Spickle will go through those websites and take a look, thanks very much! Love the house as it's full of character but these low ceilings are tricky!

Follyfoot Sat 23-Jan-16 17:49:20

Do take another look at Jim Lawrence. The lights that look like they are too low can be hung without their chains, so they hook directly onto the ceiling mount. That's what we have done with ours (old cottage too). Happy to put a picture on if it would help?

Nigel Tyas do some similar lights, and these can also be hung without chains.

Callthemodwife Sat 23-Jan-16 19:40:09

Oh wow follyfoot a photo would be amazing if you could! I find it so hard to visualise! We have a pendant light in DS's room and DH is always clocking his head so keen to avoid similar but if they can be hung higher that could work!

Follyfoot Sun 24-Jan-16 10:32:56

Here you go....

Callthemodwife Mon 25-Jan-16 08:08:25

Looks fab follyfoot! Thanks v much for sharing, need to get in there with a tape measure but I really think something like that could work, just hadn't seen it before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now