three storey house with toddler and baby

(11 Posts)
CrazyFairy Fri 22-Jan-16 10:29:35

I live in a three storey house, kitchen and living room downstairs, guest room (very big) and a smaller room in the middle floor and the master bedroom on top floor. Bathroom on each floor. When we moved in we decided to have the master bedroom but that meant that our 2.5 year old is in the same room with us... She often wakes up in the night and if she was on the middle floor id have to run down for her and I'm 7 months pregnant now.
I'm struggling to get up the stairs at the moment because of pregnancy and I'm also having a c-section so my worry has been how am I going to manage the stairs with a baby and a toddler? And how are we all supposed to sleep there? I suggested to my husband that we would move to the guest room on middle floor as its big enough and our toddler could have the smaller room but he's not excited about it... Says the master bedroom is the best room of the house! I think it's more the manual labour he's worried about hmm
Any suggestions?

wowfudge Fri 22-Jan-16 10:58:36

Sounds like a great solution while you have two little ones. Very sensible.

Diddlydokey Fri 22-Jan-16 11:03:05

Toddler in his own, very toddler proofed room with a stair gate? Or will he just climb over like mine did

Your H needs to be on toddler duty when the baby comes.

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 22-Jan-16 11:06:43

We did baby on top floor with me, husband in spare room next to toddler. Win win as he was on toddler duty but didn't get disturbed by baby (I was bfing so not much he could do)

CrazyFairy Fri 22-Jan-16 11:22:46

Actually we thought about that too, hubby on middle floor with toddler and me upstairs with baby but now I'm worried about getting up the stairs carrying the baby after the c-section. Maybe we'll do the opposite and I move on the middle floor with baby!

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 22-Jan-16 11:24:12

Can't your husband carry it up and down the stairs for you?

CrazyFairy Fri 22-Jan-16 11:36:42

Yes when he is home he can but he's away a lot for work and working long hours.

Artandco Fri 22-Jan-16 11:43:46

I would make the middle two bedrooms for you all. Make top bedroom guest room for now

When eldest is 5/6 years then you can look at putting both children up the middle bedroom sharing and making small bedroom small guest room. Move yourselves back up.

Means you will then mainly use first two floors the first year or two with small baby so less up and downing

sparklingsky Sat 23-Jan-16 22:00:29

We had the middle floor room with nursery next to us. Toddler was on their own on the top floor with gates top and bottom of every run of stairs. Worked well. It could just be for a year or two at most. Managing night time waking and C section recovery is essential. Good luck.

chapthedoor Sun 24-Jan-16 10:03:16

We had the same issue. At the moment we are in the biggest room on the middle floor with toddler in the smaller room. Baby in with us. When baby moves out of our room. We're going to put both of them in bigger room and we'll go in the smaller (still a double) We're going to put a sofa bed in the top floor room and have it as a play room/spare bedroom. It is the best room and I'd love it as ours but not practical just now. It's only for a couple of years. Could you do that maybe ?

CrazyFairy Sun 07-Feb-16 18:39:28

Thanks for all the replies! I have managed to convince my hubby to move our bedroom in the middle floor, toddler in the small room and us in the bigger one. Upstairs will be study/guest room. This, I think will make my life much much easier! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now