Talk

Advanced search

Your kitchen company reviews please

(10 Posts)
sweetheart Tue 19-Jan-16 15:36:11

Hi,
We are in the process of kitchen shopping right now and so I'm looking for feedback on the various kitchen companies out there.

So far we have approached:
Howdens
Wren
Magnet
Wicks
Ikea

Howdens are currently coming out most expensive (By quite a long way) so unless we can negotiate the price down with them we won't be using them.

Ikea only have 1 range that we like which is being discontinued soon so we've decided to rule them out on the basis that we may have trouble getting units and if we need replacements in future they will be unavailable.

Which leaves us with
Wren, Magnet and Wicks

We will probably use them for supply only as we will sort our own installation.

Any comments positive or negative regarding any of the above would be fab.
Thanks

RaisingSteam Tue 19-Jan-16 23:42:06

If it's supply only why not look at an online supply like DIY-kitchens, I discovered them from MN and we did get a good service and product from them.

Maki79 Tue 19-Jan-16 23:56:43

Where abouts are you?

We've just had a new kitchen and appliances and couldn't be happier with them. A small-ish firm called Build-it. We were looking at DIY kirchens, and IKEA before that. Had a look at Wickes and Wren and thought the quality was a bit hit and miss.

builditonline.co.uk/

Website is pants, and they haven't spelt Gloucester right but our kitchen is amazing! And really reasonable.

Our builder recomended them, so if you have any local constrction friends I'd ask their opinion.

sweetheart Wed 20-Jan-16 12:51:43

I've contacted DIY kitchens but to be honest I'd be very reluctant to spend such a lot of money before seeing the product first.

We are a few hours drive from Gloucester and don't really have the time to go there. We'd like to get the kitchen ordered before the end of Jan because we need it fitted in March.

Wuffleflump Wed 20-Jan-16 15:03:20

If by 'sort your own installation' you mean get a third party to do it, it might be worth sorting your installer first. They might have preferences / recommendations, and they also may be able to buy direct and pass on some of the savings.

Wuffleflump Wed 20-Jan-16 15:04:19

Also, people's experiences of how good their kitchen is will be partly the result of installation, not just unit quality on its own.

sweetheart Thu 21-Jan-16 10:09:38

We are having lots of building work at home at the moment so our builder will probably do the install. Whilst he has his preferences it may also come down to budget and he will fit whatever we ask him to.

MiaowTheCat Thu 21-Jan-16 10:15:33

Ours gets delivered next week by Wickes (we've got independent fitters doing it). Their planning service was really good for us in terms of how well she worked through it all - and let us do the plan and save it on file to go in and pay once the sales all started. Their appliance costs are exhorbitant though (but most of the kitchen companies are) so we've done our own shopping around for all of that stuff ourselves. It's been complicated by the fact that our local Wickes has closed down, and my mum is financing the kitchen - so we've had to work it with planning and ordering stuff at the store at my mums and them doing a basic layout plan with my mum which we've then refined when we've been there to sort it all out - and they've worked with that silly set of circumstances (curse them closing the local store though!).

Choice mainly led by the fact that my mum lusted after one of their huge corner larder cupboards that only Wickes seem to do for her own kitchen but didn't have a corner big enough for it (her kitchen is all windows down one side which limits cupboard choices somewhat) so was desperate for a second chance to buy this when we were looking into getting our own kitchen done! Turns out we're not getting the cupboard after all (it was sacrificed for a big american style fridge freezer that DH fell in love with) but they had one particular kitchen style I loved and haven't seen elsewhere (they do a one that's high gloss white but with a woodgrain effect in it which looks a bit meh in photos but stunning in real life) so we stayed with them.

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Thu 21-Jan-16 10:26:25

We had a bad experience with Homebase - kitchen bought from and fitted by them - mainly due to a very bad fitter. However, after an initial year of us hassling them and remedial work by their other fitters, 5 years later it has lasted really well and still looks good.

Loumate666 Thu 21-Jan-16 21:28:11

Buying a DIY Kitchen is a leap of faith but one that I doubt you'll regret. You can buy samples against a future order. We ordered a door from our chosen range painted in our choice of F&B colour. You can also get samples of the carcass. No BS, the chippie that installed mine was very complimentary about the quality and said that he would recommend them to future customers - he previously recommended Howdens / Benchmarx.

I've posted previously about the relative cost for the same kitchen - see here. There's also comments on quality in the thread

HTH and good luck with whatever you choose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now