Advanced search

window seals...

(4 Posts)
movingonup2015 Mon 18-Jan-16 10:03:51

i have a landing window that doesn't open and there seems to be a bit of a draft coming from the black seals that go all around the window.

I've done a search online for window seals and all I keep finding is the rubber gasket strips that you put on the actual frame that the window sits on when its shut but this isn't the one because the window doesn't even open therefore its not the gaskets that are the problem.

Any idea what they are called please?

Also has anyone used that film stuff that goes over the window to help insulate the windows? my windows are double glazed but a few people came to have a look at a problem window in my house and stated that they are all around 30 years old. Cant afford to have them replaced so I thought they wont be as effective as brand new ones so perhaps this film might help?

fredericofoofoo Mon 18-Jan-16 22:30:33

If it is the rubber that goes around the glass it is called glazing gasket and it would depend on whether the window is internally or externally beaded as to which one you would need.

The gasket that goes in the beading is sometimes called fir tree gasket and the gasket the other side called wedge gasket.

Hope this helps your search.

PigletJohn Mon 18-Jan-16 23:18:35

the film is effective, you need some care to fit it neatly. You will probably need to fit new each year.

For example

movingonup2015 Tue 19-Jan-16 08:45:08

thanks both!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: