Talk

Advanced search

Smell in Old Isleworth

(12 Posts)
Physioerin Sun 17-Jan-16 13:04:09

We are looking at buying a place in Old Isleworth but are put off by the comments about comments online regarding the smell from Mogden sewage works. Does anyone know the area or know if we should be concerned or not?
Many thanks

Applesauce29 Sun 17-Jan-16 13:19:01

I never found the smell a problem there - maybe noticed it every few months or so. The noise from planes is more of an issue imo. I love Old Isleworth, tho it is a shame you have to pay to get into the nice gardens at Syon.

cece Sun 17-Jan-16 13:21:42

We used to live quite near to Mogden and never had a problem with a smell. However, I think some roads do occasionally - depends which road it is. One side gets a smell and the side I lived on didn't. I think maybe something to do with the wind?

Physioerin Sun 17-Jan-16 22:14:56

Thanks for your responses! Do you know which roads that are mostly affected?

cece Sun 17-Jan-16 23:00:09

I'm trying to remember what the pub was called where I remember the smell - I want to say The Royal Oak... might try to look it up.

I used to leave frther into the woodlands estate many years ago and that was fine. No smell. Same with the other side on the Whitton borders with Hounslow.

cece Sun 17-Jan-16 23:01:33

Yah I was right! But it is across the road from Mogden... and the little path that takes you past the sewage works and down to Twickenham.

ovenchips Sun 17-Jan-16 23:05:30

I used to live in a houseshare there. Definite Mogden smell. Not constantly but regularly. I assumed it was wind direction.

As a PP mentioned are you aware of the aeroplane issue? At height of summer (peak aeroplane frequency) we had about 90 seconds between the sight and sound of each plane. Very loud and planes directly overhead.

You can get used to both issues but they are definitely a consideration for you tbh.

AuditAngel Sun 17-Jan-16 23:10:12

We used to live very near there and the smell was definitely worse at certain times, however, I understand that a lot of money has been spent on the site to reduce smells.

I would not move back there.

cece Sun 17-Jan-16 23:12:48

We weren't bothered by any smell but we were bothered by the noise of the planes and the anti social behaviour of some people who lived there. Notice we haven't lived there for over 10 years. There is a reason.

bangbangprettypretty Mon 18-Jan-16 10:15:52

My DH and I looked at a house in Old Isleworth but the smell made DH retch so hard we didn't even get inside the house - it was quite a windy day but it was horrible. he was hungover tho

Now live slightly further away but the plane noise doesn't actually bother me, it's no worse than a busy main road. Couldn't have lived with the smell though.

TheElementsSong Mon 18-Jan-16 10:24:50

My DAunt lives there, newish development pretty much right next to the sewage works. It actually doesn't really smell, most of the time. Just odd days here and there, I guess certain weather conditions?

Agree with everyone else that the air traffic might be more of an issue, the planes are pretty low by the time they get there. DAunt always says the planes are shining their headlights into her bedroom window - but she says she doesn't mind because she likes watching them!

Physionic Mon 18-Jan-16 10:49:26

I live in Isleworth but off St Johns road and we can only smell Mogden a few times a year. Not a problem at all. I think it used to be a bigger problem than it is now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now