Talk

Advanced search

tenancy

(6 Posts)
hasja Sat 16-Jan-16 09:16:17

hi

we are on the 6 months break clause tenancy but we would like break it . so we found replacement tenants to avoid liabilites but unfortunately the letting agents increased the rent all of sudden . now the new tenants are not willing . they are willing for rent the flat if the rent is same as ours
pleasehelp

Bearbehind Sat 16-Jan-16 10:38:39

If you are within the period where you can break the tenancy then just serve notice and leave at the end of that period.

It's not up to you to find new tenants.

If you've found the tenants because you are not in a break period then it might be worth considering you making up the shortfall in the rent for the period until your tenancy would have ended- far from ideal but probably better than not being able to leave at all.

hasja Sat 16-Jan-16 12:18:01

hi
thank you for your reply

our tenancy break up day is april 24th
but we want to move due to some unplanned things
that is why they agreed that if I can find new tenant i can move before
so found new ones
therefore I found a new house and agreed to rent the new one we really liked
after that tenants changed their mind beacuse of increase in rent
now are liable for rent up to april

Bearbehind Sat 16-Jan-16 12:40:29

Have you considered the option I suggested of offering to pay the difference for the tenants you found- it's better than paying the full rent which is your only other option at the minute.

hasja Sat 16-Jan-16 12:44:07

we can ask that thanks
so we want to pay the difference for how long ?
until the break date or an year ?

they started remarketing but for the rent they are asking i dont think they would get one
we already signed new tenancy i am afraid

i dont know what to do actually .
my head is just bursting out !!!!

Bearbehind Sat 16-Jan-16 12:50:56

I suspect if the tenants you found aren't willing to consider it then it won't work.

You can't realistically subsidise the rent on a completely new tenancy agreement- I thought you were just talking about someone you know taking on the end of your agreement then potentially continuing.

There's not much you can do as you are contractually obliged to pay the rent until the end of April.

It sounds like your only option is trying to reach some kind of agreement with the landlord- if you have to move out now then any agreement that is less than the full rent until the end of April is better than the worst case scenario.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now