Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed - Removed wallpaper and now have cracks in plaster

(9 Posts)
tryingtosavemoney Fri 15-Jan-16 15:06:05

Hi -

my first post so please go easy on me. I though it best to upload a few images to get some advice.

I've just taken down wallpapers in my house using a steamer and this has resulted in cracks on the plaster over the wall and in some places - the top layer of the plasterboard has come out as well.

Do you think filling up the cracks with joint compound and then skimming over the wall will cover the cracks ? How can i prevent from the cracks from showing. the final goal is to paint the wall and not use wallpaper.

Hoping you can help. Thanks in advance.

smile

PigletJohn Fri 15-Jan-16 16:14:41

knock it with your knuckles. Does it sound hollow? Pull it off.

This is quite common with steamers. Unless they are constantly moved they overheat the plaster and it blows off the wall.

Filler or skim will not work for long on live plaster.

tryingtosavemoney Fri 15-Jan-16 17:13:44

Thanks John. It does sound hollow. happy to remove the loose pieces.

Can you suggest a remedy for this to achieve a flat finish ?

PigletJohn Fri 15-Jan-16 17:25:22

if the patches are less wide than a plasterers metal trowel, you could use easifill or finish plaster. mix less than you need. Press very hard with the trowel pressing on the good plaster at both sides of the gap. swipe up and down to remove any excess that projects further than the finished surface. Do it in a couple of coats, don't try to fill it in one.

Any bulge is wasted material since you will have to remove it later.

If necessary you can use a broad metal scraper to remove any excess to a flat surface, quicker and cleaner than sanding, while it is still cheesy. You will improve with practice. Patching is easier than doing a flat expanse.

tryingtosavemoney Fri 15-Jan-16 19:15:37

thanks again.

Will this do the trick ?

Screwfix

PigletJohn Fri 15-Jan-16 21:27:51

not keen. It looks like an own-brand version of Polyfilla.

I'd prefer a plaster product, such as

www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Fast-Set-Plasterboard-Joint-Filler-10kg/p/224541

www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Easy-Plaster-2-5-Litre/p/138951

I always used to patch with Finish plaster, which is fine and cheap, but a pro recommended the Joint Filling plaster for patching, and it is easy to use. With plaster products it is best to fill with two layers, since the first, thick one may shrink and crack, so the second is skimmed over and fills any depressions or cracks, and is thin enough not to sink.

You really will find a rectangular trowel easier to use than a filling knife. Clean it immediately after use, polish off any rust specks or old plaster with a green nylon scourer, both sides.
www.screwfix.com/search?search=plaster+trowel

PigletJohn Fri 15-Jan-16 21:31:08

this is the big brand
www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-easi-fill-20-jointing-filling-material-5kg/143938_BQ.prd

Plaster products are cheap, but will go off if left lying around for a month, or quicker in damp conditions. It will dry out your hands. Left-overs can be sprinkled on the garden or compost heap, never washed down a sink or drain.

tryingtosavemoney Sat 16-Jan-16 10:27:33

Thank you very much pigletJohn. Really appreciate it.

Will give it a go. smile

SmellTheGlove Sat 16-Jan-16 20:39:54

I used a credit card (actually I used my old Gala Bingo card because I am very sophisticated) to fill biggish gaps and cracks - Top tip from my plasterer! I found most tools really tricky but I got a really nice finish with a card and tub of ready mix polyfilla! I managed to get away with not skimming in a couple of rooms by patching but you can tell I'm no plasterer if you look too closely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now