We've seen a house we like...but...

(19 Posts)
Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jan-16 15:29:27

So many buts...

As yet it has no parking, and moving from a street with none it was top of our list. However lots of people on the street have dropped curbs and then access to little front gardens. Which would be perfect but we've no idea if we would get planning permission.

We haven't actually got our house on the market yet blush..we have had valuations, we think we've decided on an agent and we are just doing a bit of packing/sprucing up in readiness but it's going to e at least a week before its on, then 3 weeks until an open house saturday where the agents we've spoken to all seem to think it will have offers Monday morning.

We've done rhos all arse about face haven't we? We only looked because we are nosy and houses on this street don't come up much. A house like this one, done beautifully is on for 50 grand more just a few doors down.

It's bloody massive, 4 floors, victorian, original features, massive rooms, good garden, central location, lots of potential to do up and a basement plus quiet street and ok area. Good schools nearby, on the bus route.

Cons: on street parking (fairly busy but lots of spaces during the day, evenings when I'd need them not so much.., central so sometimes traffic can be a pain coming home, on a bus route grin it's currently divided into two flats but only partition walls and would give us a massive living space downstairs and big bedrooms upstairs.

Aargh...we don't know what to do..

I can't see the vendor being interested until we've sold, which could be at least another month. It could be gone by then and the parking is such a risk (not to mention 3k cost). If we had this house with parking on the same Street it could be 80k more. In a naicer area 150k more.

Anyone with experience like to comment?

lalalonglegs Thu 14-Jan-16 15:34:06

I think you are right, the vendor is looking for a quick sale and pricing accordingly. Try getting your house on the market and seeing if this house is still available then. If not, there will be others.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 14-Jan-16 15:39:29

There's no point putting an offer in, they'll just say "thanks, get in touch when you are ready to proceed".

Put your house on the market, look at as much as you can, if it is still up for sale when you get a buyer and you haven't seen anything you like better then put an offer in on it.

SoupDragon Thu 14-Jan-16 15:41:08

You could approach the council to ask if planning permission would be likely to be given.

I agree that the vendors are unlikely to accept an offer from you if you haven't sold yours. How long has their's been up for sale? I guess you have nothing to lose by offering.

Bearbehind Thu 14-Jan-16 16:03:58

Why can't you have an open day for three weeks?

If you got yourselves sorted and your house is as sought after as the EA says, you could get in sold by this time next week if your really want to- we did- we accepted an offer exactly a week after we'd first called the EA to instruct them.

yomellamoHelly Thu 14-Jan-16 16:28:33

Would check with the council and then phone ea and say you're interested, but this is where you are..... Expect he'll tell you to come back when you've sold yours. (Is what happened to us. Fortunately ours sold really quickly - 9 days - so we got the house.)

NewLife4Me Thu 14-Jan-16 16:42:08

They may not tell you to go away until you have an offer.
I was just going to start a thread as we are an even worse than you tbh. grin
We had valuation off one agent and board and pictures are being done tomorrow.
We still have little bits to do before we want viewings, just a bit of paint here and there.
The agent told us our offer would be taken and whilst we obviously couldn't proceed our agent will liase with their agent, keep them updated, tell them about our viewings and feedback etc.
Yes, somebody may come in with another offer and be able to proceed quicker, but they may keep your original offer especially if it's very close to the asking price.
We too have found our dream house but need to sell 2 in order to buy it.
All I can say is my mil saying "If it's for you it won't go past you" I know that's not much consolation.
Also, something better may come along that ticks all your boxes by the time you have a buyer.

NewLife4Me Thu 14-Jan-16 16:46:07

Just seen it's 3 floors and Victorian.

We are selling a two story with original features.
It's cold, damp and costs a fortune to heat and repair/maintenance.
You will need a huge commitment to maintain yourselves or pay others to.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jan-16 17:30:51

It's only been on a few weeks, so no time at all really. I think we will just have to hurry up and get ours on. And stop being so nosy! DH has been looking on rightmove for months, I keep telling him off for looking!

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jan-16 17:36:10

Yep you're right about the house possibly new life, but then we have a 3 floor Victorian thats older and it's fine, we concerted the basement and have done loads of work, only damp we get is a bit of mildew in the bathroom. It's in pretty good nick by the look of it.

Bear they've suggested we wait 3 weeks then do an open day, they all seem to do that round here. Last one we went to had 30 viewings in 2 hrs..5 offers by the Monday.
We need a week to get it straightened out dump all the shite in the loft for the photos. It's a bloody mess currently as I just went back to work and the 9 month old never sleeps!

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jan-16 17:37:17

Converted the basement. Obviously.

NewLife4Me Thu 14-Jan-16 18:18:34

It is difficult though with timing everything to coincide with finding the perfect home.

I do sympathise as we are in a similar situation.
The one we have found ticks most of our boxes and any compromises are small.

The annoying thing is that the price range we have there is nothing else that suits us.
There are cheaper in worst areas and the next size up that we certainly wouldn't want anyway is about 20k over our budget.

We are also worried about the rating as we believe we will come in at a D because of high ceilings and normal draughts you find in these houses.

OliviaBenson Thu 14-Jan-16 18:24:55

We did this. We went with the estate agent our dream house was on with- they had good incentive to sell as they'd get two properties off their books.

Could you really not have an open day next weekend? I'm not sure what's stopping you.

Could the EA let potential buyers know before you officially go on the market (right move etc) our buyer was someone who had supplied the EA with their details of types of houses they wanted to get in first. We hadn't even had photos taken by that point!

Bearbehind Thu 14-Jan-16 19:26:33

It sounds like you're overthinking this.

You've not even seen the property yet- it might be full of rats or something grin

If others in the street have dropped the kerb then the precedent has been set so getting permission on the house you're interested in should be ok.

You could get your house on the market with viewings in the next week if you bust a gut to do it.

But all of that is by the by if there's something about the house you don't actually like.

Go and see it and take it from there.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jan-16 19:47:42

Near we have seen it, sorry thought I'd said that,;it's really great inside smile.we've also seen another that has been done up, basically same layout, just to see what could be done.
Discussed it with DH tonight, he's going to call the estate agent it's on with and ask them how quick they could get photos done. I guess they could get the fronts done asap once we've tidied up the neighbours front garden and some good ideas there about letting them know we're interested but they'd have to sell ours first at the price we need!
It's really difficult getting everything ready, I'm not sure that picking dry January and the month I go back to work was the best idea for all this..

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jan-16 19:52:17

Olivia the only thing discouragING us is I guess the tidying up EA as they've said to week is a good time to get interest.

We're a first time buyer type property so fingers crossed we would get some good offers and they've said 50% of their buyers come from London so have silly money...

I dunno though, most all EAs lie don't they?

I'm going to get on it tomorrow ad get the house ready for photos just in case hey can get round quickly. We are just very indecisive. It took us 5 weeks to name ds!

Bearbehind Thu 14-Jan-16 20:03:44

If the house if what you want then a bit of stress getting your house ready for viewing will be a distant memory if you get it.

Personally I think it's bollocks that you need 3 weeks to drum up interest- our house was photographed and went on Rightmove on a Friday and we accepted an offer on Monday and it wasn't in SE or London.

There's currently a huge gap between supply and demand so those looking are stalking Rightmove, your husband is proof of that!

You could potentially get a quick sale if you really wanted to- I'd go for it, it might not work out but at least you'd know you tried.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Thu 14-Jan-16 21:19:54

Thanks, we will think about all that. Maybe they are being a bit over cautious leaving it 3 weeks, 2 at the most I think, as long as there's been enough interest.
I keep veering from loving it to wondering if something better might come along. Problem s anything around that price usually has at least one tiny bedroom out of three or something else up with it, location etc.

DH blatantly loves it. He's just gone or a mooch past it again to check out the street at night. (It's only 2 streets away!)

That's for all the advice everyone. We best get our arses in gear and get our house ready..--surveys mess and sits back down to eat leftover Christmas chocolate--

Moving15 Thu 14-Jan-16 22:04:41

We put our house on rightmove on a Tuesday, had viewings on the Saturday which generated offers, accepted one, simultaneously offering on the house we had viewed on the Friday. Our offer was accepted. So, it can be done.
Get the house on rightmove. Ready for pics is not the same as ready for viewings, you will still have a little time to do more cleaning and decluttering etc before people actually come to view.
However if you really really like the house you have seen, I wouldn't wait to let the vendor know. If they know you are really interested then they will take that into account if any other offers come through. If you keep quiet they might accept another offer while you frantically find yourself your buyer.
Just shove everything out of sight into cupboards!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now