moving in our first home today - total renovation. Need some ideas

(14 Posts)
PixieGio Thu 14-Jan-16 06:14:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PixieGio Thu 14-Jan-16 06:16:02

Here's the rightmove ad www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47335969.html

Thanks!

HelpfulChap Thu 14-Jan-16 06:18:26

Sounds exciting! Good luck.

The only advice I would give is to try and plan things in the correct order so you don't end up doing things twice or undoing earlier work with a new element. In other words get your project managers head on.

HelpfulChap Thu 14-Jan-16 06:23:15

If I had a 1930s house it would be furnished top to bottom in period furniture.

I really love that whole look.

PixieGio Thu 14-Jan-16 06:24:46

Thanks! Yes I've tried to get as organised as possible just recently, my ds is 16 months old and could only get him in nursery 3 afternoons a week so that will be my main alone time in the house during the initial stages. Having it rewired once we figure out what we want in each room. Got some builders coming on Sunday to work out some numbers and hopefully we can get to work soon!

PixieGio Thu 14-Jan-16 06:28:20

HelpfulChap - we plan on reinstating as many original features we can get our hands on. I'd like to put picture rails up - I think the ceilings are high enough. We are planning on the kitchen/diner being the focal point of the house - possibly using Howdens design service.

HelpfulChap Thu 14-Jan-16 06:54:46

Picture rails are good. Allows you to use interesting colour patterns. Darker below and lighter above to make the ceiling look even higher.

Hope all goes well.

didireallysaythat Thu 14-Jan-16 09:20:48

I know it's dull dull dull but while (or probably afterwards) you are being rewired I'd insulate the loft (including the hatch) to the current recommended depth plus. If you have to remove old insulation it's horribly messy and you don't want to do this once the rest of the house is immaculate. You'll get the immediate benefit of a warm home. I know dull dull dull but a lot of home ownership is...

Bryt Thu 14-Jan-16 09:29:04

It looks like a great house. I love my 30s house. All I'd add is to ask if you're likely to outgrow the house in future or is this going to be big enough for many years to come. Just don't close down your options to extend.

wonkylegs Thu 14-Jan-16 09:45:43

Congratulations, I'm sure it'll be fab when your done.
Unfortunatly the most important bits are the boring things and you need to do them first.
Loft insulation, rewiring - when you do it, it's messy but good, make sure you think about how you use each room & then add a few more sockets you generally you can't have enough (we have 3 doubles by the tv sockets, doubles either side of the beds, places for hoovers, coffee machines, loads behind out the computers etc) also consider doing hardwired smoke and burglar alarms at the same time.
Do you need to do the heating?
Check the guttering, make sure it's clear and has no cracks, it's easy to replace and repair but can cause massive damage if not looked after. Same for air bricks, make sure they are clear.
Draught proof doors and windows, make sure any exterior woodwork is protected and doesn't need repainting.
We've just finished a 2 year refurbishment of a big old Victorian house - it's been a hard slog but it's beautiful now. My first house was rather similar to yours and went from unloved to lovely with a bit of work, I fitted an ikea kitchen and it was great. Rooms I didn't know what to do with, I stripped back and painted white, until I figured out what I wanted. I ended up keeping the master bedroom white as I actually liked it, it was very peaceful and caught the light nicely.

PixieGio Thu 14-Jan-16 09:56:18

It's small but an extension probably won't be needed any time soon. We are considering a loft conversion though. We wanted to keep as much garden space as possible.

PixieGio Thu 14-Jan-16 10:01:51

Thanks Wonkylegs for that informative reply! Rewiring should happen soon - we believe it's very well insulated already but we definitely go up there for an inspection. What should I do to prepare for the electrician coming in, carpets up, wallpaper? How many ethernet outlets did you get? We are hoping to do away with all radiators and install UFH. No idea how expensive it'll be to install yet but I just hate the sight of radiators and the wall space they take up!

SquadGoals Thu 14-Jan-16 10:10:36

I grew up in one of these - DP's still live there and all of the houses in my area are like this.

We went with an extension out the back to extend the kitchen and add an ensuite to the back bedroom, aswell as a loft conversion.

Neighbours built out on the kitchen side, adding a study at the front and kitchen extension to the back and another bedroom with ensuite upstairs.

Others I know went with the loft conversion and built the stairs into the small bedroom, turning it into a mini study with two bedrooms in the attic.

They are gorgeous houses. When we finally look to buy, they are top of my list.

wonkylegs Thu 14-Jan-16 10:25:33

If you want to keep the carpets, I'd take them up otherwise they will take up what they need.
You end up with a lot of brick and plaster dust everywhere, don't use your Hoover to clean it up if you want to use it again. A cheap bucket Hoover from somewhere like screwfix or tradepoint is worth considering.
You will need to see what needs stripping back and replastering/decorating after they've done. We ended up with some large bits of plastering as we have the original lathe and horsehair plaster which really doesn't like being knocked around so in places came off in large chunks.
We have the whole house wired for internet (point in every room except bathrooms & utility) because we use a whole house sound system that links to it as well as two offices (I work from home & DH has one too), also DH likes his toys.
UFH isn't always such a great thing to retrofit, as its effectiveness relies a bit on how energy efficient your building fabric is to start off with. I love it in new builds not so keen in refurbishments. It heats to a lower temp so heat loss can be a bigger issue.
There are lots of options for radiators these days so don't despair if UFH isn't great for you, you don't necessarily have to have white boxes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now