Talk

Advanced search

Catford - any inside info...

(13 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Tue 12-Jan-16 21:11:07

We live nearby but are looking for a cheap-ish area to finally buy a house. I have seen a nice house near the station, but could do with some quite specific advice.
What senior school would DD be in catchment for?
Would the Barratt homes new flats on dog track put you off living nearby - ie will it have a bad affect on transport etc?
Are there any other plans that I should know about it? Plans for a Waitrose <hopeful>?
I understand that the Bakerloo line extension is not going there now, but that's alright by me, I think the two trainlines will be quite handy.
Any hints would be appreciated grin.

Any of you who might have seen other threads by me about moving to seaside - that's not happening now - DH new job.

SarfEast1cated Fri 15-Jan-16 20:19:23

Just a teeny bump smile

PettsWoodParadise Fri 15-Jan-16 21:34:23

I only know Catford as somewhere between where I live and central London. I sometimes go past on the train and feel sorry for those who can't get on as the train is too crowded but that is my only experience. If you want a seat on the train and good value, lovely safe area, good schools then do consider a bit further out - Petts Wood is greet IMO but I appreciate its suburban feel and 1930s property stock isn't to everyone's taste.

EssentialHummus Fri 15-Jan-16 21:39:12

Hey OP, I'm nearby (Brockley) but wanted to chip in:

There's a friendly poster on here called catfordbetty - possibly search her out / look for her posts? She gave me some great advice.

Schoolcatchment.co.uk is great for checking (as the name suggests) school catchments, and I think Lewisham data is now current.

SarfEast1cated Fri 15-Jan-16 21:43:56

Thanks both! Will definitely look at schoolcatchment - i'd never heard of it!
And thanks Petts Wood for your help too smile

Queenbean Fri 15-Jan-16 21:46:05

I live nearby and it's not the best, but it's definitely on the up.

there is loads of investment going in to catford and although it's a bit grotty, it is only going up. I would definitely buy there. Really good commuting links. Wouldn't be put off by anything except that for the first few years, it's not going to be as gentrified as Clapham

Other areas nearby are Brockley, Beckenham, Hither Green and Lee to check.

I know there are some good schools nearby including a big posh school (St Dunstans?) but I don't know anything about schools!

IguanaTail Fri 15-Jan-16 21:48:34

Prendergast is v good from what I hear.

SarfEast1cated Fri 15-Jan-16 21:57:05

I'm not sure what our chances would be being into Prendergast Hilly Fields but I like it - it's very similar to the school I went to, so very comforting. We can't afford a house in any other area nearby so I am pretty keen on the 'Ford, I don't need it to be posh, just friendly and safe is enough. Can't afford St Dunstan's although it does seem like a nice school.

SarfEast1cated Fri 15-Jan-16 21:58:08

"I'm not sure what our chances would be of getting into Prendergast Hilly Fields"

Queenbean Fri 15-Jan-16 22:15:10

If it comes down to cost, go for it, the house will easily be worth so much more very soon

I feel very safe in the area, and I did two years ago when I bought my place as a single woman

Lucidlady Fri 15-Jan-16 22:23:56

Catford is definitely on the up. Lewisham Council is investing a lot of money in the infrastructure. I live in Blackheath and have heard a few people talking about property in Catford recently as they're getting priced out of Blackheath/Hither Green/Greenwich, so prices will start to go up in Catford too.

fabtigger Tue 19-Jan-16 13:50:13

I have lived in Catford for over 8 years now.

I imagine people will have different experience depending on neighbours, expectations, and perhaps your previous areas. But my experience has been great. Nice simple area, lovely parks, good transport links for work.

We use to live near the station, but have moved to a bigger house further out in the Corbett estate this year.

Living near the station was marginally louder, and felt busier, though I didnt mind that and as it was more convenient for guest and commuting. The Corbett Estate can be lovely too, it is quieter, has a real community feel to it and has an active community group and Facebook page.

Over the 8 years, the area has been changing. More families and young professionals are moving in looking to buy larger houses for better prices than bordering Forest Hill, Hither green and Ladywell. The prices of houses remained pretty stagnant from 2008 to 2013, then exploded (or corrected) in the last couple of years making it not the amazing the bargain that it use to be.

The Catford Green development overall looks ok, though the apartments are very small they are well conceived. The development is tidying the access to the park from the station making a feature out of the weirdly clean stream that runs through the park, and is therefore making a nicer walk between Catford and Ladywell. The development may put a little strain on transport, but I can't predict the outcome of this.

The Bakerloo line extension plans are not final yet, they still haven't closed the idea to extend the Bakerloo line along the Hayes line. This is just the current thinking which could change. I imagine if enough people kick up a fuss it will happen.

I don't go out often, but the Catford Constitutional is great, I also here good things about the Blthe Hill Tavern. There's a Sushi bar, and a nice Italian. I actually enjoy walking along the market, (flower stand is superb), but if you want something more upmarket then the Brockley Market on Saturday isn't too far.

School wise I know there are a few lower schools that have good ofsted. Unsure about middle schools though.

I hope this helps? Let me know if you want to know anything else!

SarfEast1cated Wed 20-Jan-16 08:32:22

Thank you fabtigger, much appreciated. We looked to buy on the Corbett Estate when the houses were about £250k - they're twice that now! Luckily the value of our flat has gone up too, so we shouldn't be out of pocket.
We are part of an established community where we are now, and if we move near Catford station, should be able to keep that going as DD is going to stay in her junior school. I have always liked Catford, DD was born at Lewisham Hosp so Ladywell Fields always reminds me of that time.
Will let you know how we get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now