Talk

Advanced search

fridge and freezer when you move.

(9 Posts)
AnonymousBird Tue 12-Jan-16 18:37:41

How does one deal with fridge and freezer contents when you move or is it a case of, you don't, either use or chuck out?!

PigletJohn Tue 12-Jan-16 19:25:13

you are supposed to leave them to stand for a while for the gas to settle before turning back on, so I think you will have to eat all the frozen stuff.

freezers used to be 24 hours but it has reduced, check the instructions or manufacturer's website.

HoggleHoggle Tue 12-Jan-16 19:32:05

We had movers do ours...it was the last thing on the van and the first thing off , so we didn't lose anything. We did try to run the fridge contents down as much as possible, and the movers asked us to store everything in the drawer compartments so it wasn't rattling around.

emwithme Tue 12-Jan-16 19:55:08

Eat from it as much as possible beforehand, so there's less to move, then pack everything from it at the last moment into chiller bags with frozen blocks in (like you take on a picnic). Pack fridge and freezer onto van and move (they're usually the last things on so they're the first off). Leave it a couple of hours, then unpack everything from the freezer bags.

wowfudge Tue 12-Jan-16 20:28:50

I'd run the stocks down, defrost and clean prior to moving.

AnonymousBird Tue 12-Jan-16 20:52:01

Thanks peeps. Will try to run contents down, not putting anything new in freezer now so just need to eat what's there! Roast chicken and tropical fruit anyone?!?

Good tips. Thanks.

wowfudge Tue 12-Jan-16 21:08:08

Jerk chicken with fruity salsa?

Qwebec Tue 12-Jan-16 21:13:20

We do what EMWITHME suggested, easy as pie and did not loose a thing. I froze extra water bottles in case my ice packs would not be enough.

BasinHaircut Tue 12-Jan-16 21:26:48

We just run it down to empty. Didn't chuck anything apart from some ice cubes. Last few weeks we didn't buy anything frozen.

I completely ran the cupboards down too as I thought it might be nice to start afresh at the new house. I think I took half a box full of cupboard stuff. There were a few odd combinations in the final week though I admit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now