Talk

Advanced search

Drills recommendation? (compact, cordless, powerful, takes up minimal space)

(5 Posts)
CheersMedea Mon 11-Jan-16 15:47:43

I'm not v. DIY and neither is my husband. I'd like to buy a drill - probably primarily for me use.

I've looked online and they all seem pretty massive and to come in big cases with millions of attachments.

The micro/mini drills all have reviews saying "not powerful enough".

Can anyone recommend a simple drill that is compact, preferably cordless and won't take up a lot of space? I really just want it to drill in and remove screws etc - into wood and walls.

I don't want sanding attachments, stuff for taking crap out of horses shoes and so on.

EarSlaps Mon 11-Jan-16 16:12:53

If you want to drill into masonry then you will probably need a corded one with hammer action. A cordless one is only usually powerful enough for drilling into softer surfaces.

I'm happy with my DeWalt twin pack of corded and cordless.

PigletJohn Mon 11-Jan-16 16:28:35

a basic corded hammer drill will cost less, last longer, and be more powerful, which is handy if you are repeatedly drilling into walls and floors.

If you are going to occasionally drill into a wall for a curtain rail, or screwing down floorboards, an 18v cordless combi drill will do fine. If you are not using it much the battery will probably fade away before the drill wears out. Less than 18v will be too weak, more will be too heavy. Feel the tool before buying. Don't be tempted by a pack of a hundred assorted bits, most of which you will never use.

If you have a major DIY project coming up, get a tool with two batteries so one can be charging while you are using the other, from a place with a no-quibble refund or exchange policy such as Aldi or Lidl, who sell only the most popular lines. If you get a 2 year guarantee you will not mind if it doesn't last long.

After short-lived NiCad batteries annoyed me, I now only buy tools with Lithium batteries. Screwfix sell a wide range of cheap power tools under the "Titan" brand, usually quite sturdy but read the reviews in case they have a weak point. Cheap Chinese tools are probably much the same quality, whatever the brand name. Some people say they are all made in the same factory, which might not be true.

Examples:
www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-18V-Li-ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries/p/141178

www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti526com-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/92980

CheersMedea Mon 11-Jan-16 17:53:21

thanks both.

CheersMedea Mon 11-Jan-16 19:05:49

I've ordered that wickes one Piglet John not least because it looked like a bargain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now