Talk

Advanced search

Do I want to live in Brockley?

(20 Posts)
potap123 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:30:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

echt Sun 10-Jan-16 06:49:38

The very first place I lived in London, and a comfy area in the mid-70s. I bet it's vair gentrified by now. It was very safe back then, and I'd be surprised if much has changed in that respect.

This is not helpful for you, but others will be along soon.

r3adysteadygo Sun 10-Jan-16 07:21:30

Brockley is lovely, nice restaurants, cafes, parks all within easy reach. Good for kids and for people without kids. I lived towards the Ladywell end for a while and loved it. No idea on the transport as I travelled from Ladywell, and it was pretty busy on that route at peak times. It mostly felt safe to me.

Where are you moving from? Do you know any other parts of SE London? What's your budget and what are you looking for -if you were open to places near Brockley, I might be able to suggest possibilities.

Malcojida Sun 10-Jan-16 07:27:02

You'll usually be able to get on the overground and national rail but won't get a seat after about 7am. If there's problems on the line you'll struggle to get on at all but that doesn't happen too often.

CDAlady Sun 10-Jan-16 07:32:50

Brockley is a great area! Attractive, safe, excellent schools and transport and a really good cultural scene. Look at the very active and popular blog brockleycentral

EmpressOfTheVulvaCupcakes Sun 10-Jan-16 07:41:09

Brockley is great. Close to town, lots of places to go and plenty of green space not far away.

The closeness also means that if you do have a train disaster buses are a viable option.

GirlsonFilm Sun 10-Jan-16 08:23:56

I used to live on Drakefell Road unfortunately it's a bit of a rat run for skip lorries which start about 5am and they ring like a bell when they hit the speed bumps (I wonder if that is why the viewing is arranged for a Sunday)

potap123 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:54:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PettsWoodParadise Sun 10-Jan-16 11:56:25

Petts Wood is great - change at Lewisham for DLR also direct trains to Blackfriars, London Bridge, Charing Cross and Cannon St. Too far out in zone five for some but you'd get a gorgeous house for that money. If want to be further in the Dulwich is very nice but also expensive.

IShouldBeSoLurky Sun 10-Jan-16 12:32:58

Brockley is lovely. Great farmers market, gorgeous park, lots of restaurants and cafés, very gentrified and safe. No problem on your budget.

Sauu9123 Sun 10-Jan-16 16:48:39

Marking my place!

EmpressOfTheVulvaCupcakes Sun 10-Jan-16 18:27:46

Since we have a Brockley thread now, has anyone been to Babur? So many people have raved to me about it that I'm going for the Sunday buffet in a couple of weeks.

Ramblinman Sun 10-Jan-16 20:58:53

Brockley is fab. Great market and independent cafes and restaurants and a creative feel. Check out brockleycentral.blogspot.co.uk

r3adysteadygo Sun 10-Jan-16 21:10:30

If you need to be on the Overground line, have you looked at Crystal Palace? Slightly further out, but you'd probably get a more comfortable commute in as seats are very rare at Brockley in rush hour. It's got similarities to Brockley - decent restaurants and bars, a park, good transport. A quick Rightmove search throws up several 4 bed houses in the £750k-£1m bracket. Might be worth having a look at other areas along that train line too - Forest Hill, Honor Oak and Sydenham. They've all got a bit gentrified in recent years, so bars, restaurants and shops are popping up. I second looking at the Brockley Central blog to get a bit of an idea of what that whole area is like.

Empress I've been to Babur, but not for a buffet. The food is really good, definitely a step up from other Indian restaurants I've been too. And who doesn't love a restaurant with a giant tiger on the roof?!

EssentialHummus Sun 10-Jan-16 21:11:49

I live in Brockley (Wickham Rd) and absolutely love it. Wholeheartedly recommended! The area continues to develop and improve, with new restaurants opening and a Sainsbury's due to appear soon.

Note that Brockley is made of two halves, divided by the railway. The area to the east, including Drakefell Rd, is part of a conservation area, and is prettier and more expensive. The area to the west of the station has historically seemed like a poorer relation, but is slowly developing/improving/shaking its reputation IMO.

The one downside other than ridiculous house prices is that Lewisham has an acute shortage of school places, and catchment areas can be very tight, so do check that carefully if it affects your family.

Empress - I found it rather overrated and overpriced, but gourmet Indian food goes right over my head. The revamped Essence of India on Brockley Rd is a good shout.

EssentialHummus Sun 10-Jan-16 21:16:52

Ignore "including Drakefell Rd" above - I got its position quite wrong!

ConesOfDunshire Sun 10-Jan-16 21:38:47

Gellatly Road / Drakefell Road used to be my short-cut when I commuted to Ladywell, and I would echo the comments that it is a bit of a rat-run between he south circular and the A202. It is the kind of road where you need to fold in your wing mirrors - people park on either side of the road and when two cars pass in the middle it is tight.

Do you need school places? Depending where you are on the road, you might be OK for Haberdashers Hatcham, which is well-regarded. Telegraph Hill park is nice. However, the nicest bits of Brockley are the conservation area, around Hilly Fields - Wickham Road, Breakspears Road, Tressillian Road, Tyrwhitt Road and environs. Many of the big houses were carved into flats but they seem slowly to be beng restored.

kirinm Sun 10-Jan-16 22:11:33

Try Peckham! On the overground and trains to Blackfriars and London Bridge frequently. The Peckham Rye / East Dulwich side has beautiful houses and you might get a 4 bed for £1m.

EmpressOfTheVulvaCupcakes Sun 10-Jan-16 22:19:16

Thanks r3ady & Hummus wine

Abitshyaboutthis Sun 10-Jan-16 22:55:02

Brockley/telegraph hill are great areas to live and continuing to improve and relatively reasonably priced for zone 2. Feels family friendly and safe (for London). Lovely parks (telegraph hill and hilly fields). Generally a friendly community feel and although less 'naice' than east dulwich or clapham type areas I actually prefer it to those areas.

Trains from nunhead to blackfriars are fine to get on but you won't get a seat. The overground can be crammed in the morning but it is generally manageable. I agree with the comments on drakefell rd though, it is one of the few in the area I would avoid and I can't believe the price of houses on it...

The schools (if you need them) are very good with quite a few ranked outstanding. If you're looking in the brockley conservation area though be careful on likely catchment areas as some of the streets have very limited school availability. Places are tight in Lewisham and in some areas you need to be within 200m of the school to stand a chance. Lewisham council website has the info, though of course the new rightmove facility is helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now