Advanced search

What plans do i need for a knock through

(5 Posts)
kali43 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:09:47

On a very tight budget and still can't get our heads around what we have to get done and what we'd like and how much they cost. We will definitely need a structural engineer so do they do plans for the whole area or just the bit that may need supports or do they do no plans at all?

One potential builder says he does not need construction plans - is that right?

There are a variety of different plans/concepts/architect cost that we are considering (including One Plan) however we don't really understand the minimum that will be required for the kitchen/lounge to open plan knock through so that we can consider what else we can afford to do.

I know we sound totally amateur and completely tight blush but cash is definitely tight so i'd prefer to research, ask questions and weigh it all up rather than waste money that could have been spent on nicer glass door, a roof light or sofa iykwim!


Luc28 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:40:27

The builder will work on projects like this day in day out and will know which walls are load bearing and how to reinforce any walls opened up and removed id always go off a good builder reccomendation over a surveyor as they are the ones doing the physical work and will be upto speed and highly trained in the always changing building regulations in place

kali43 Sat 09-Jan-16 16:02:25

Thanks Luc28. Our builder has said he wants to have the calcs from a structural engineer so i am trying to work out what other plans we may need - assuming that all we ned is building control sign off.

BikeGeek Sat 09-Jan-16 16:31:04

If you are doing it under a building notice you shouldn't need any plans, possibly calcs although we didn't require calcs for ours.

Procedure for ours was

- Put in building notice to remove load bearing wall

- Building inspector comes out, takes a look around, says as long as you put in a beam of this side, on bearings at least this big then no calcs required

- Beam put in, wall knocked down

- Building inspector comes back out to sign it off

kali43 Sun 10-Jan-16 12:21:11

Thanks BikeGeek. I think starting with the Building control guy is good starting place. Appreciate your help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: