Talk

Advanced search

Loft conversion

(9 Posts)
Daffodil90 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:45:20

We own a 3 bed semi detached and are considering at some point in the next few years having the loft converted into a bedroom (with possible en suite). The stair case would live in the box room going up so it would stay a 3 bed property just with a bigger 3rd bed.

We'd probably want a full dormer to the back and the side of the house building up straight to give more head room to come up the stairs. (I hope that makes sense) A complete new roof and velux windows to the front.

Has anyone else done this? Good experiences? And can I ask what you paid for it?

Sorry I'm sure this has been asked before!

Madblondedog Fri 08-Jan-16 16:52:25

Our loft conversion has just finished and I LOVE it. We made a room smaller for the stairs but didn't lose it. You might find a clever architect can do the same for you. Ours has been done under building regs but from your description you'd need planning so I cant help on cost. My only concern with yours would be is it worth it if you aren't actually gaining an additional room? Could you say make it a master suite with a bathroom up there?

Jcee Fri 08-Jan-16 21:53:25

We did this and love it!

We have exactly what you describe - dormer to rear and building up side creating large bedroom with en suite, full length windows and Juliet balcony on rear (which added more to overall cost but DP was obsessed with having it) and 2 velux windows on front. I thought we would lose some space off the box room for the stairs but the architect designed it so we kept the bedroom as is so we now have a 4 bedroom house.

We went with a loft company who offered a complete package including architect fees and they handled all planning. Cost was 42k and we are in north London.

We also had to supply bathroom fittings, pay extras to basic package (eg it came with x number of spotlights and sockets and there was a fee for more) and they finished it to plaster walls so we had to cover decorating, carpets, tiles etc so you need to factor all that in too.

Daffodil90 Sun 10-Jan-16 16:14:12

Ahh good to know!

I doubt we'd fit a staircase in anywhere else, it's quite small upstairs so we'd need to give up the box room but it would be worth it as its not even big enough to fit a single bed in (its currently the nursery that just fits the cot across the full wall).

Good to know we're in the 40kish realm though! I expect we'd definitely need planning permission but most houses on the road have had extensions or conversions so I don't think it would be a problem in it being granted.

Thanks for the advice smile

HamaTime Sun 10-Jan-16 16:18:49

Not me, but a friend did it in a 3 bed semi by having a staircase with a turn at the bottom, which didn't need as much space from their box room, and taking a bit off the front bedroom to make the box room a useable size. The box room is still tiny, but useable, the front bedroom is a good sized kids room and the back room is a normal double. They have a double plus en-suite upstairs.

HollyMaingate Sun 10-Jan-16 17:58:02

Hip to gable conversion (building up the side wall) and then full dormer falls under permitted development so doesn't require planning permission (unless you're in a conservation area or in a listed building). You can add up to 50 cubic metres of additional space to a semi under permitted development

namechangedtoday15 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:03:24

Do you know you have enough head height at the top of the stairs - we have a 3 bed semi and despite plans with dormers, we'd still have had to lower the ceilings in the bedrooms. Just a word of warning.

Madelinehatter Sun 10-Jan-16 19:21:19

Yes the lowering of ceilings is putting us off doing this. Massive job. Worth checking if you will need to do this first.

Quodlibet Sun 24-Jan-16 16:44:29

Are you in London? My advice would be if you are going to do it, do it ASAP as conversion costs in the two years between us buying our house and getting round to doing the conversion have gone up by 25%. Partly to do with the building trade recovering after the recession, partly I think they peg the cost of the conversion to house values, which are always going up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now