Resealing a shower cubicle

(7 Posts)
Lemonski Fri 08-Jan-16 13:55:42

Moved into our house a few weeks ago.

Previous owners put in a new bathroom 18 months ago. The shower cubicle leaks where the screen meets the wall both sides. On closer inspection they have done a terrible job of trying to reseal the shower - just looks a mess and has failed. Its a longstanding issue as we have a damp patch on the ceiling in the room below - which has obviously just been painted over many times by the previous owners.

So being quite rubbish at DIY I need some tips.

I am going to attempt to reseal it myself (well with DH too) before paying out for someone to sort it on the off chance we may be slightly better at DIY than the previous people.

Any tips or advice on how best to go about this would be appreciated. My lovely dad has provided us with some superior transparent water resistant mould resistant shower silicone, a gun thingy to apply it and a tool to removed old and finish off the new.

I have banned shower use for the last 48 hours (we have a bath with shower over too) and was planning on finishing the drying off with the hairdrier. There is a thick area of black mould Im not sure we can fully remove where shower tray/screen/floor/wall and skirting meet (on the outside). The sealant says the area does not have to be 100% dry to apply it but I am guessing the drier the better??? Anyhow I came on here to ask you to share your advice and experience of any similar sealant jobs as we're complete novices at this.

ConnieSpry Fri 08-Jan-16 14:16:58

When we had our shower resealed the first time it didn't work. The man who successfully did it the second time said it was because the first time all the sealant had not properly been removed and apparently it's important that it is completely removed. You now have my total knowledge of shower sealing grin .

ginmakesitallok Fri 08-Jan-16 14:19:36

DP resealed ours when it leaked. Lasted a few months until it started to leak again. We've been using the bath shower for months now.... We really need to get it sorted, but will be getting a professional in. And that's my total knowledge you have now too.

Lemonski Fri 08-Jan-16 21:15:12

Thank you. Good point about removing the old stuff!

Who would be a professional to call in (should we fail) - a plumber? builder?

lapsedorienteerer Fri 08-Jan-16 21:18:38

Definitely remove all old sealant first or it simply won't work. Then go and buy new, expensive, sealant from a decent supplier. Don't buy the B&Q etc version. Our local independent DIY shop sells a trade quality sealant for about £7 of £8, it's worth every penny.

lapsedorienteerer Fri 08-Jan-16 21:19:22

You can definitely do it yourself, it's sooo easy.

Ruhrpott Fri 08-Jan-16 21:23:11

Get water in a glass with a bit of washing up liquid in. Use this to smooth off the sealant or put in a spray bottle and spray it then smooth off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now