Talk

Advanced search

Suggest to me places that might meet these requirements... anywhere in the UK!

(42 Posts)
GoneAndDone Thu 07-Jan-16 13:06:02

I have a long term dream/plan to leave London in the next 5-10 years and move somewhere more rural/quiet. I have no family in the UK, and my work can be done anywhere as long as there is a good broadband connection as I would by then be completely self employed. Unlikely to ever have kids so schools are not an issue.

Budget would be around £350k max to become mortgage free and still have savings left.

I'd want at least a 3 bed detached house with a large garden - enough to grow some veg, probably... I prefer older houses to new builds but not that fussy really. A quiet location but not completely isolated. Not in a flood risk area but otherwise I'd like to be close to water (maybe on top of a hill if it's an area that has floods). Would want the house to be somewhere I can look out of the window and see some fields or trees or the sea.

A reasonably "nice" area - I don't necessarily need chi chi coffee shops but I don't want to have to walk past the local drunks on my way to the shops, either. The whole idea would be to escape the grit and noise of London. Somewhere with a bit of a community feel but where people on the whole keep themselves to themselves, probably...

Proximity to a slightly creative town or city would be a bonus.

Obviously this is all hypothetical at the moment but I'd love to have some actual places in mind to perhaps start visiting and checking out.

SweetAdeline Thu 07-Jan-16 13:12:02

North Norfolk with proximity to Norwich.

DivaDroid Thu 07-Jan-16 13:14:44

What about Aberdeenshire? Balmedie, Stonehaven, Ellon, Newburgh are all lovely as are many of the places round there. Stonehaven does flood though.

EdithWeston Thu 07-Jan-16 13:21:44

North Norfolk would be good. Try browsing Aylsham and Holt.

Or Leicestershire/Rutland. Try Market Harborough, Oakham, Melton Mowbray areas.

SunnySomer Thu 07-Jan-16 13:28:24

Yorkshire's a lovely county... This house needs some modernisation but well within budget www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51706360.html

Draughton is a little village but nearby Addingham is v nice, and skipton is lovely www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52874900.html (this is modern and needs some love, but has been on the market for ages, so maybe they're being greedy with their "offers over"?).

specialsubject Thu 07-Jan-16 14:15:38

Much of Shropshire (waves in friendly fashion) will do the trick - we do have flooding but most houses are not built in the flood zones. ALTHOUGH access to some can get wet so do your research.

can't offer the sea but plenty of fields and trees! If you want sea I looked at northwest wales but there are many issues there.

reasonable weather, plenty of places to go and things to see, and if you position yourself right, good train links.

JT05 Thu 07-Jan-16 14:16:04

South West Scotland - Kirkcudbright area. Join all the others with exactly the same thoughts. Good links to M6, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Gulf Stream influenced, lots of heritage, and fantastic coastline.

cressetmama Thu 07-Jan-16 16:44:32

Cornwall... has superfast broadband, lovely scenery, and is generally arty. Away from the property hotspots, £350k buys quite a lot. But it does rain a lot.

cooper44 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:24:56

Suffolk Coast - I have all of the above in your wishlist I think - my house was more than your budget but I have quite a bit of land and sounds like you just want a good size garden.
Good serviceable towns, good, regular transport links. Lovely coast, lots going on culturally in Aldeburgh and Snape. Great foodie scene.
Broadband can be patchy in some villages - our last village was dreadful but we moved ten mins away and it's great. I would also say try and rent wherever you move to first just to make sure you really like the village.

SwedishEdith Thu 07-Jan-16 19:28:15

Bit of a project but lovely little village

Duckdeamon Thu 07-Jan-16 19:32:28

envy of all these!

SwedishEdith Thu 07-Jan-16 19:47:32

Todmorden Actually, near Hebden Bridge would be good. I know some of it has just flooded so you'd need to do some research. But, definitely arty.

lljkk Thu 07-Jan-16 19:49:08

Go for towns in Norfolk if you want broadband, villages notoriously not good.

SwedishEdith Thu 07-Jan-16 20:06:31

Ooo, look at this one. I think pretty much all of Wales fits your brief

SwedishEdith Thu 07-Jan-16 20:11:28

Nice I'll stop posting the links now.

insancerre Thu 07-Jan-16 20:13:11

Lytham st annes

spaceyboo Thu 07-Jan-16 20:15:24

My DH'a friend recently moved to a place about 30mins from St Ives in Cornwall. That should hit all your requirements.

GoneAndDone Thu 07-Jan-16 21:07:25

Edith's last linked one has been on the market since August 2014. shock

Ruhrpott Thu 07-Jan-16 21:12:20

Anywhere around most of Cardiff

Awks Thu 07-Jan-16 21:13:25

This one has gorgeous sea views and its 50 mins from York (which in turn is 1.58 from Kings Cross). It's lovely in North Yorkshire grin

Awks Thu 07-Jan-16 21:14:34

oops

Ruhrpott Thu 07-Jan-16 21:19:02

We live 20 mins from Cardiff, have large 4 bed detached with an acre of garden and panoramic views across the valley and you would get 150k at least in change from your 350 around here for a three bed detached.

Wetoopere Thu 07-Jan-16 21:55:03

Edge of the Lakes, Kendal or Ulverston , both have a lot of alternatively arty events on.
Lakes for water, Kendal floods but plenty of it doesn't, most of Ulverston is dry.
Both have a community feel but Ulverston will def know everything about you grin

Sidge Thu 07-Jan-16 22:01:42

Chichester?

HawkeyeInConfusion Thu 07-Jan-16 22:50:40

Derbyshire ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now