Talk

Advanced search

Can i get away with not sanding....?

(5 Posts)
castara78 Thu 07-Jan-16 10:59:31

I am about to start painting a 2 bedroom cabin. The entire thing is a an attractive orangey varnished pine..would I be able to paint using a primer such as Zinsser 123 instead of sanding, or is this a shortcut I will regret? I'm new to this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Photo in link.
goo.gl/photos/SDNaKUH2b4n8zN328

wowfudge Thu 07-Jan-16 11:38:23

I've used Zinsser primer without sanding - one of its attractions is that it cuts down the work. You don't have to sand. It has been fine on doors, skirting boards, etc. On new wood, I've primed then smoothed down - much easier with a coat of primer on as it you can feel the rough areas better.

I'll also confess to not sanding when using gloss and satinwood every time, because I cannot be bothered. That's been fine too. I'll now get shot down in flames no doubt!

ouryve Thu 07-Jan-16 11:40:58

You might find it's more work in the long run not to because the paint will knock off more easily. I've painted over a large area of varnished pine and, even with a good primer, you can tell where I CBA to sand properly, a ocuple of years on.

lighteningirl Thu 07-Jan-16 14:07:13

Like ouryve says you may well get away with it but the job will need redoing sooner and look tastier quicker.

SmellTheGlove Fri 08-Jan-16 19:43:23

Ive been pretty pleased with just using Zinsser BIN. Only been on for 6 months or so but it's withstood a fair few bangs/knocks. I did sand a few bits too and to be honest I can't really tell the difference. I bloody love Zinsser I do. I may live to regret it but I'm so flipping knackered after renovating I really don't care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now