Advanced search

Toilet leaking question!

(9 Posts)
Iggi999 Sun 03-Jan-16 11:19:06

Toilet has been running small amounts of water permanently into the bowl for a few weeks now. I've tried looking for YouTube videos but they are all about modern push button ones, ours has a lever on the side of the toilet and I think they are different inside.
If I open up the cistern and hold the ballcock up the dripping stops. But I can't see how to alter uthis permanently. Any ideas greatly appreciated - even what to call the type of toilet.

Iggi999 Sun 03-Jan-16 11:31:18

Here is the cistern blush

ModenaMan Sun 03-Jan-16 11:40:11

Sounds like the valve is not shutting off when the ball has risen. Is there a knurled ring at the other end of the ball. There will be a little plunger which pushes against a rubber seal. Either the seal has worn or could be some debris stopping it from fully closing.

caroldecker Sun 03-Jan-16 11:42:04

At the end of the ballcock lever is a flap, which opens and closes the ater supply. The ballcock is not rising enough to close the flap before the water reaches the overflow level.
You should be able to adjust the ballcock to rise higher, thus closing the flap earlier.

ModenaMan Sun 03-Jan-16 11:47:03

Have a Google for side entry cistern valve filler. There is a YouTube video listed which might help

Iggi999 Sun 03-Jan-16 13:01:23

Thank you both smile
I will report on my success <hopeful>

PigletJohn Mon 04-Jan-16 01:02:17

you see the orange float, with the long white arm? The little screw you see on the top of that arm presses on the valve. Screw it out so that it projects further to the right and presses on the valve earlier (flush the WC and hold the float down to take the pressure off it first). There will be a nylon locknut. Loosen it to adjust and tighten afterwards.

If that doesn't work get a new valve, it is quicker than repairing the old one. It looks like you have a bottom-entry valve. You will have to turn off the water supply to the cistern before changing it. People who blush to say "ball cock" call it a float valve. The modern Fluidmaster is better and quieter.

Iggi999 Mon 04-Jan-16 22:52:21

Well, it worked!!!!
Adjusted the lever thing and it's not leaking in any more. I am pleased that it's stopped but more so that I fixed it myself (well, with a lot of help from mumsnet!) to the point that I keep going in to have a look blush
Thank you all so much for your responses flowers flowers

ModenaMan Tue 05-Jan-16 10:04:18

grin At ball cock watch, glad it is sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now