Talk

Advanced search

extension planning - what comes first...?

(3 Posts)
Fender1 Sat 02-Jan-16 17:28:04

2016 is the year that I want to get the house of my dreams. We have a flat roofed double garage ( integral to house) plus kitchen at rear and want to put two beds plus bathroom above these and also a single extension to the rear of the property.

My question is this:
I know roughly what I want and the rough £/m2 price but do I get a builder on board before an architect or someone else to draw up the plans? It'll need p permission too so we'll need to do a bit of homework I reckon.

What have others done in similar situations?

DickDewy Sat 02-Jan-16 18:01:43

A builder can only give you a very rough idea of the cost if you don't have plans to show him.

I would get an architect (or ideally a good technician) to draw up some plans for your planning permission and go from there. I would also dig a trial hole and get your local building control to come and inspect your foundations (or the structural engineer involved). If they are inadequate to take the second storey - it can have a massive impact of the cost of the works.

Fender1 Sat 02-Jan-16 20:08:05

Thanks, that feels natural to engage an architect/ technician early and get something down on paper.
Also good point re checking existing foundations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now