Talk

Advanced search

Average costs for buying a house

(4 Posts)
sooperdooper Sat 02-Jan-16 14:11:28

Can anyone give me a ball park figure of what it costs to move - for things like solicitors fees/searches fees/removals etc?

I'm thinking about £5k, DH (who has never bought a house, I bought this one before we got together) thinks less and doesn't seem to believe me - am I over estimating?

wowfudge Sat 02-Jan-16 15:43:34

It depends on the sale and purchase prices of your current house and the new place. Most conveyancing solicitors will do a fixed fee based on these. Removals depend on how far you are going and how much stuff you have and whether you pay for packing. There may be stamp duty on your purchase and of course you'll have estate agent fees on your sale. Then there are mortgage fees - can you port your current mortgage or will there be early redemption fees to pay?

If you have a rough idea what your house should sell for and how much your new place is likely to cost and it's location, you can use online calculators for these things to have a ballpark figure.

We are selling our house and have made an offer on a house we like - the moving costs are considerable when you add everything up. Stamp duty alone is a big chunk.

If you have equity in your current house then you can use that to cover costs and the remainder as a deposit.

VertigoNun Sat 02-Jan-16 15:47:34

Get a quote from a few solicitors, the same for removal firms. HAve you worked out stamp duty and money for things like takeaways and window dressings in your new home?

Stylingwax Sat 02-Jan-16 15:51:16

So probs £3k ish for solicitors for the sale and purchase including searches, exc stamp duty.
£500 for buildings survey on new house.
£300 for mortgage valuation on new house.
£500 removals.
And depending on value of each property:
1 to 3% of sale price for estate agent.
And stamp duty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now