Talk

Advanced search

Wood burners - Chesney's or Clearview?

(19 Posts)
LoveInAColdClimate Thu 31-Dec-15 18:13:59

Has anyone had any experience of, ideally, both Chesney's and Clearview, or have any views on either of them? Everyone we know seems to have a Clearview but the shop was extremely keen on Chesney's (although I have no idea if they get a bigger sale percentage on them or something). It's going to be heating a largeish, cold sitting room with high ceilings. Thank you!

ishouldcocoa Thu 31-Dec-15 18:18:30

Get the biggest stove you possibly can!

We have a Clearview - had it for about 8 years, and its fab.

HTH

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 31-Dec-15 18:23:55

Don't know anything about Chesneys. I found this website good for reviews.

www.whatstove.co.uk

liinyo Thu 31-Dec-15 20:35:22

Our installer warned us off Chesneys. He did not think they were worth the money. We have Stovax wood burners here and at our home in Ireland and are very pleased with them.

Giraffeski Thu 31-Dec-15 20:44:11

We have a lovely Burley which claims to be the most efficient stove in the UK.
We've had it a year and it is brilliant.

Arcadia Thu 31-Dec-15 21:47:40

We have a Chesney, better value than clear view apparently, and ours is fantastic. Salisbury 5W.

Ditsy4 Fri 01-Jan-16 01:27:06

We have a Charnwood ,country 4 I think, it is brilliant much better than our last one which we had twenty years and was lovely( swans and arches on the front) but not as efficient. This one has been in a few years and we are really pleased with it. Friends have a clear view and they like it.next doors is too I think.haven't heard of Chesneys.

HollyMaingate Fri 01-Jan-16 02:38:43

Absolutely ignore the first reply. Getting the biggest stove you can is awful advice-a stove too big for a room and therefore burnt at less than full temperature is not what you want at all. Very bad for the stove and flue.

Twooter Fri 01-Jan-16 02:48:35

Look at contura

Karcheer Fri 01-Jan-16 09:29:43

I had a chesney fire surround and fireplace and it and they were brilliant, not a wood burner but was happy with service etc.

LoveInAColdClimate Fri 01-Jan-16 11:07:01

Thanks, everyone! Happy new year smile

SanityClause Fri 01-Jan-16 11:14:37

We have a Morso.

I knew it was the one I wanted when I first saw it, but PIL insisted on continuing to drag us around loads of showrooms, looking at all the others, then started saying, "it's make your mind up time".

(This was a long time ago, but I'm not scarred by it, at all - I know that because I haven't repressed the memory. wink)

SanityClause Fri 01-Jan-16 11:17:34

Sorry, having made it all about me....

I would say an important consideration is you have to sit and look at it for many years to come. Make sure it's one that you find aesthetically pleasing.

flakjacket Fri 01-Jan-16 11:30:53

We have had a Clearview Pioneer for about 8 years. It's fab - I can't fault it. It's pretty frugal compared to my neighbours stoves and chucks out loads of heat. We only have to empty the ash tray about every 10 - 14 days when we are using it every night.

Marmitelover55 Fri 01-Jan-16 11:54:03

We also have a Clearview and love it!

notarehearsal Fri 01-Jan-16 13:13:28

Chesney Salisbury here too. It's a small one as it's in a small room ( think its 4W) and it's fantastic, have had it for five years and light it every single day ( even in the summer evenings for short while!)
Moving soon and it's one of the first things I'm having done

frenchfancy Fri 01-Jan-16 13:25:53

I can recommend stovax stoves. We are really pleased with ours.

And definitely don't get the biggest you can, sotves are much more efficient when they are running at their capacity, a big stove running on low will use much more wood than a smaller one on high for the same heat output.

mrswolf Fri 01-Jan-16 18:11:38

We've got a Chesney shore ditch wood burner and it is very good - lots of heat. No issues.

ishouldcocoa Sat 02-Jan-16 07:03:23

Holly
Speaking as a homeowner with a Clearview stove situated in a large, high ceilinged room, and having been advised by the stove company, I would STILL stand by my suggestion that you should slightly over estimate your heating requirements in terms of output.
We have not regretted it. It never continually burns at less than its optimum temperature.
As I said, it was actually suggested by the installers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now